Chapter 1

I wake up and looked around me. I was in the bedroom of the house with my mum. My mum had blonde hair in a bob with wattery grey eyes.

Why couldn't i look like her?

I have long brown hair and green eyes unfortunately i look like my dad. We don't live with my dad anymore. He had to be killed due to being divergent. I'm not allowed to talk about him at home because he is a disgrace to our family.

So it's just me and my mum now. I like it with just me and my mum, it can be fun.

My mum is erudite leader Jeanine Matthews. Yeah i know what you're thinking i'm unlucky but actually when it's just me and her we always have a fun, good time.

Although my mum has to go to loads of meetings each day and i go to school ,we always find time to have fun.

I then look past my mum to the alarm clock on the bedside table it was 6:50 a.m. , I have to get up by 7 a.m. I try to get back to sleep but i am too worried about the test i was to take today that determines what faction i belong in.

I am scared it will tell me that i'm not erudite that i have to leave my beloved mum but i'm more scared that it will tell me i have to stay because then i have to follow all my mum has done now. I felt tears build up in my eyes i wrap my arms around my mum and pull her close.

She turns around and wipes the tears from my face then smiles "don't cry Emily" she says.

"I'm sorry mum" I reply "i'm just scared that my test result will tell me i'm not erudite, I don't want to leave you"

"You don't have to go with the faction your test chooses, that just gives you an idea of where to go, you should get erudite though Em as it's in your blood". My mum says softly.

"I love you mum" I say.

"I love you too Em" she replies.

Then the alarm clock goes of and the start to the worst day of my life really begins.