9. The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same

Their ship exited the Primary Galactic TRailing Fold, or PGTRF, transitioning gracefully into the D-Jinn Interplanetary Fold, the DIF, and the most crowded local space Dean had seen in many years

Their ship exited the Primary Galactic TRailing Fold, or PGTRF, transitioning gracefully into the D-Jinn Interplanetary Fold, the DIF, and the most crowded local space Dean had seen in many years. He'd forgotten how long it had been since he'd travelled this far hubward; or how busy it was among the Central Systems. Despite the vastness of space, he felt positively claustrophobic with so many ships in view and even more on the scanner.

The D-Jinn system was much like any other. It had three inner rocky planets that were well-developed centres of commerce and politics. Military outposts that protected the Fold routes were on moons of the fifth and seventh planets, which were gas giants. The sixth planet had almost been mined to oblivion and its once rich gaseous atmosphere was now only a thin layer surrounding a compact iron core.

"We've transitioned to the DIF," Miss Yadnee informed him. "I haven't detected anyone following us, but hidden will be much more difficult with all the military scanners embedded in the Fold paths here. If someone powerful wants to find us, they will."

"Yes," Dean said, remembering some of the issues with operating hubward and why he'd started taking jobs closer to the rim. "And you have an unusual ship. Which class is it?"

"I'm spoofing a family-cruiser to cover our unique signature," Miss Yadnee said, obviously avoiding his question. "Hopefully it will keep us off the scanners for long enough to do what needs to be done."

So far, it seemed to be working. They'd just cleared the second security checkpoint and were free to travel to the inner systems.

"Dean, I'm not seeing a Fold path to D-Jinn IV on the standard map."

The fourth planet of the system was not like most in this, or other systems. The orbit of D-Jinn IV was almost thirty-degrees from the solar plane. As such, the planet was above the solar ecliptic during half its orbit, and below it the other half. This also meant it wasn't as protected from the harsh solar radiation of D-Jinn and the neighbouring stars as the other planets in the system were.

"Oh, yeah. Maybe it's best if I fly the rest of the way," Dean answered.

Miss Yadnee glanced at him, gave a slight shrug and stood, freeing the pilot chair.

It wasn't until Dean sat, taking in the sea of switches and dials on the control panel before him that he realized this ship had slightly more complex controls than his old reliable St. Jude.

"On second thought," he said, abandoning the pilot's seat, "you fly and I'll guide you in."

"Bring up the local Fold map," he said, as Miss Yadnee settled herself back in the pilot's chair. Moments later a holographic map of the D-Jinn system, complete with the gravitational troughs that formed the Fold, appeared before them.

"Okay, because of its strange orbit, the Fold path to D-Jinn IV changes continuously. Right now the planet is just below the averaged system ecliptic and climbing. That means a new Fold path is forming between it and its neighbours. Our best chance to catch it will be a shallow exit from the DIF just starward of V's orbit. We come in at a shallow angle and it'll be hard to miss."