Chapter 16

I cooled Challenger out and took off his tack.  I could tell he was still raring to go after the dressage test, which was good because we had show jumping in two hours.  I filled a bucket with water and offered it to him.  

He snorted at it but did drink.  After which he slobbered over me and got my shirt wet.  "Eww, gross.  Why'd you have to do that?"  I scolded.  

He looked at me innocently as if to say, "Who me?"  

"Yes you.  Now I'm wet.  You better be glad my show jacket will cover this up," I lectured.  

He shook his head and took a bit of his hay net. I chuckled and set the bucket down.  I'd offer water to him again before we went jumping.  

The dressage test had gone really well and boosted my confidence.  I was a little upset with myself about conflicting my aids in the transition to the walk.  That could have been really good if I hadn't let my guard down.  But for all that, it made those months of training seem worth something.  

"Tessa!"  I turned at the sound of my name, just in time to be engulfed by Lacy's hug.  Challenger stepped back in surprise.  

"Lacy!  I didn't know you were going to be here."  

She pulled back.  "What?  My best friend is finally showing her horse at his first show and I'm not going to be here?"  She faked a show of hurt feelings.  "I'm shocked you think so little of me Tessa."  

I laughed.  "Well, I'm glad you're here."  

"How'd the dressage test go?  Where are you placed?"  

"I don't know.  I don't think they've put the results up yet."  I patted Challenger's neck.  "I'm real proud of him though.  He did good."  

Mom came around the corner of the truck.  "Hey Lacy, why didn't you tell me us you were coming?"  

"I wasn't sure I was Mrs. Wellen," said Lacy.  "Something came up.  But I'm here now."  

She grabbed my wrist and tugged.  "Come on Tessa, let's see if your results are posted."  

I looked back at mother, who waved for me to go on.  "I'll take care of the horses," she encouraged.  

Lacy tugged again.  "Come on!"  

I yielded and we weaved through the show grounds.  More people were here now, and horses with or without riders were everywhere.  The sun was now shone down a pleasant warmth, the chill of the morning exiled.  

"So, when's your next ride?" asked Lacy.  

"In a little less than two hours.  We have showjumping next.  If you could call it that.  It's just some really tall cross rails."  

"Pssh," Lacy said with a wave of her hand.  "Don't undermine that Tessa.  If you can get him around that course with both you and him intact, that's beyond me!  He's a wild one."

I rolled my eyes.  "He is not, and it's not going to be that bad."  Lacy had a slight tendency to elaborate.  

"Here we are."  

The big board that had current results posted on it was in front of us.  We weren't the only ones there.  I shuddered at the press of people.  Did no one think of "personal space" nowadays?  For goodness sakes, Challenger had more respect for that than people!  

Lacy let out a cry of victory.  "Look Tessa, here's your results!"  She scanned down the list and squealed again.  "You're in fifth place!"  

I pushed past somebody and let my finger trailed down the list.  Sure enough, Challenger was ranked fifth in a division of twelve horses.  I smiled.  "Not a bad result for his first dressage test."