Chapter 19

I patted Challenger's neck as I went to undo his girth.  "Well, that's it for the day boy," I whispered.  

He stomped his hoof and I realized his fly spray was probably worn off by now.  "Sorry, I'll fix that in a minute."  I went over and undid the other side of the girth, then slid his saddle off.  Mild sweat stains darkened his gray coat, and the saddle pad was slightly damp.  

I put the tack in the trailer and then grabbed a stiff brush.  As I brushed the sweat stains out Challenger stretched out his neck in delight, the bristles scratching itchy skin.  I smiled at him and kept going until he had his fill.  

As I sprayed his legs, mother came around the tail end of the trailer holding a BBQ sandwich .  "Good job!"  

I smiled at her.  "Thanks.  You've got some sauce on your chin."  

She wiped it away with the edge of a napkin.  "Huh, so I did."  

"Have they put the results out for your division yet?"  I asked her.  

Lacy came bounding around the trailer, with dad following at a slower pace.  "Yes they did!" she chirped cheerfully.  She grabbed my hand.  "Come on, let's go see!"  

I didn't seem to have much of a choice in the matter as I was pulled along. 

Seeing the knot of people near the rankings board immediately made me cringe and want to step back.  I didn't mind people, so long as they respected my space.  It puzzled me how horses could respect my space better than people.  

Lacy sensed my hesitancy but wouldn't be deterred.  She pulled me into the press of people.  I inwardly groaned.  

"Here's the novice division!" Exclaimed Lacy.  Her energy had pushed us to the front.  She squealed.  "You mom won second!"  

"Wait really?"  I stepped up beside her.  Sure enough, there was mother's and Shocker's name in second place.  "She's gonna be so happy!"  

"Second place?  Are you sure Tessa?"  

"Yes mom, I'm sure!  It was right there, you couldn't miss it!"  

Her face lit up.  Dad came up and swung her around in an embrace.  "Good job hun," he said, and kissed her square on the lips.  

I grinned and turned to Challenger, who actually looked half-asleep.  A nice change.  I fingered his gray mane.  "Better get Shocker ready for the awards mom."  

"Aren't you going to tack up Challenger?"  

I shrugged.  "I don't think I won anything.  What's the point?  It'd be the third or fourth time putting the saddle on."  

Lacy hopped up from the trailer.  "I'll go see if your results are up yet."  And she raced off, thankfully forgetting to drag me along.  

I grabbed my water bottle and plopped down on the edge of the trailer.  "I don't know where that girl gets all her energy," I commented.

Mother shrugged as I took a drink.  "I  guess she's a type O or something."  

I nodded absently.  "Guess so."  

Dad spoke up.  "You know what I want?"  

"What?" replied mom.

"Some ice cream to celebrate your big win."