Chapter 31 - Not Broken Just Bent

"I'm a pretty good listener." She said. "If you need to talk."

Jack sighed and took a deep breath.

"When I was young, twenty to be exact. I fell in love. A girl that I had been friends with for a really long time. She loved me too. We were super crazy about each other. I mean, just so in love with each other. I was willing to give up my music for her. One day, we were about a year into our relationship, we decided to run away and get married. We weren't going to tell anyone about it. It would be our little love secret. So we did. We got hitched at this little church, it was perfect. Then she talked about wanting kids and I was ecstatic. Growing up I couldn't wait to be a dad. I always wanted a boy and a girl, so they could be best friends, just like Rachel and I. We tried for months with no luck. I tried to stay positive, but she was frustrated. She became cold and distant. I came home one night and she was sitting at the table waiting for me. She told me she was pregnant and I was so excited, I remember feeling like my heart was going to explode from happiness." He took a deep breath and Veronica could see more tears forming in his eyes. "Then she told me it wasn't mine. She had been sleeping with my best friend. It was his baby. She told me that she was leaving me. I remember what she said to me like it was yesterday. She said, 'You are not a real man, Jack Antonoff. I am leaving you because I found a real man. Just know, you will never be loved because you are not a real man.' And I never saw her again after that." He said. He wiped the tears from his eyes.

Veronica was completely shocked. She had no idea Jack had been through so much. It all made since now. His fear of comitment was due the fact he was afraid he would be hurt again. His hatred of happiness and love in others were due to his broken heart. This girl had really messed him up. She didn't even know what she could say to him, so she pulled him into a hug. She forgot every asshole thing he had done since she joined the tour and just held him as another human being to another.

"I am so sorry that I started crying, I feel like a real dumb ass." He said.

"Why? All you did was show that you aren't some robot incapable of feeling and emotion. Jack, you can't let something a girl said to you almost ten years ago ruin your life. I believe you are capable of being loved and that you can love in return. I see passion in you when you play." Even Veronica was having a hard time not crying.

"She really messed me up. I mean, imagine being on a high, cloud nine best happiness. Only to have your soul shattered. That's what I think about any time I feel like I may have found a new girl. In the back of my mind, she is going to do the same thing to hurt me and I cannot handle that again."

"You need to find a girl, who you can take your time with. Go slow and fall in love with each other over time. You are fixable Jack, and I'm here to help you pick up the pieces if you need it." She grabbed on to his his hand and held it. He felt a warmth inside of him that he hadn't felt in years.

"I'm sorry that I treated you like shit. I really am." He said. He was fighting tears again, he was being sincere.

"I forgive you. Now maybe you should apologize to the others you've hurt. Like Ryder and the guys." She said.

"I feel like I'm already in too deep with then. Ryder will never forgive me."

"You'd be surprised. If you give her a sincere apology like you gave me, she may be willing to start fresh. Same goes with Nate and Andrew." She looked up at hims seriously."Even if they don't forgive you, you have to do it to make peace for yourself. I promise I will help you through it."

"You don't have to do this, Veronica. I was really terrible to you. And to your best friend." He said.

"I know I don't. But I want to." She said.

Jack asked for a family meeting and everyone on the bus got together to talk. He told everyone how sorry he was for how he had treated them and told them that he was going to work on his issues. It was when he started tearing up that everyone could tell that he was being real with them. They were all willing to let go of the past and start fresh with him and they were also willing to help in any way they could. Everyone was a family again, and the future was looking bright.

Jack and Veronica were spending a lot of time together. Mostly they just talked. For not being trained, she was a very good therapist to him. Sometimes they didn't talk, but he sang to her. She thought he had an amazing voice.

On this particular day, Jack was singing "You and I Undercover" and Veronica listened closely. Jack was really getting into it, his eyes closed, putting his heart into the lyrics. Veronica couldn't help but stare at him, specifically his lips. She knew he wasn't into her like that, they were just really good friends now, but for some reason something hypnotized him about his lips. She almost wants to kiss him, but knowing how he feels, she shrugs off her feelings. Veronica goes back to watching him, reflecting on the last couple of weeks. He had really opened up to her. SHe respected that. And  he hadn't been a creep at all. Now here was, singing to her, putting all of his heart into it. She got up and sat next to him. Her feelings were now overwhelming and they had officially taken over. She reached over and placed a hand on his arm, gently.

Normally, a signal like this from a girl was a sign that she was ready for some action and like a relfex Jack would pounce. This time, when he feels her touch, he stops abruptly and opens his eyes. He faces her with a look of uncertainty.

"You didn't like the song?" He asked, looking over at her.

Veronica looked at him with a smile for the pleasant surprise. She expected him to be all over her, making his move to conquer her. Surprisingly, he is not trying to kiss her, he is not looking for a prey, but rather opposite. He didn't understand her signal. He is innocent again with her. He has feelings for her, real feelings.

And Veronica shared those feelings.