Chapter Thirteen

Three months had passed and Kayla was just beginning her second trimester. At this point, Amber had told everyone about her. She had taken vicious taunting on Facebook and Twitter and had eventually kept completely to herself, only talking to Harry. She stayed with Harry every night and most of them he had to watch her cry herself to sleep. The only thing he knew to do was wipe the tears and hold her until she felt better.  

*

                  It was a crisp Tuesday in the very beginnings of October. Outside, the leaves had changed colors and Harry had begun college courses online, staying home to take care of Kayla. It was 4:30 in the morning and the sun had not yet rose. Harry was asleep in his bed with his arm loosely draped around Kayla. Kayla, though, had just been fiercely woken up by a pain in her lower abdomen. Assuming it was only the baby developing, she snuggled closer to Harry and attempted to fall back asleep. Ten minutes later, the pain hit again, except this time, it was crippling. Kayla let a small, squeaky yell as she curled into a ball on the bed. The yell had awoken Harry and he instantly sat up, leaning over her to see what was wrong.

                  “What is it, baby? Are you okay?” Harry sounded frantic. Ever since they found out Kayla was pregnant he became especially over protective of her. Kayla couldn’t respond, though, as the pain hit continued, all she could do was groan and clutch her stomach.

                  That was when Harry saw it, though, the blood on her pajama pants.

                  Harry scrambled out of bed, turning on his bedside lamp to find his keys and his shoes. Once he had shoved his feet into his black Tom’s, he walked to Kayla’s side of the bed.                   “Baby, I’m going to pick you up, I’m going to carry you to the car, and we are going to the hospital. I would appreciate cooperation,” he said frantically. She groaned in response and he lifted her bridal style, walking as fast as he could down to his car.

                  He opened the back door and laid Kayla down on the backseat, assuming she’d be more comfortable there, and rushed to get in the driver’s seat and start the car. He sped all the way to the hospital, thanking God for the lack of cars on the roads this early in the morning.

                  Harry grabbed Kayla out of the backseat and ran with her into the waiting room. He approached the closest nurse.

                  “Please help me! I think she’s having a miscarriage! Please, God, help me…” Harry was starting to choke back sobs, losing his composure.

                  Other nurses rushed over with a wheelchair and Harry placed Kayla down in it. The nurses immediately dashed towards a corridor with Harry in pursuit. He was stopped abruptly by a nurse grabbing at his arms and pulling him back.

                  “Sir, you can’t go down there,” she said in a firm voice.

                  “That’s my girlfriend!” Harry half yelled, half cried.

                  “I know, sir, but we can’t let you into the operating rooms until we find out what is wrong and completely stabilize her. I’m sorry, but you’ll have to wait out here,” the nurse seemed to have a sad look on her face. A look that showed she had compassion but revealed that she had seen this kind of thing far too much. That worried Harry.

                  Harry turned around with a frown and walked towards the cushioned waiting room chairs. He sank down into one and pulled his knees up to his chest, quietly sobbing, praying that Kayla would be okay, that their child would be okay.  

*

                  Six hours later, Harry had fallen asleep in the waiting room chair but was being shaken awake by a nurse.

                  “Sir,” she said, “is your name Harry?”

                  “Is she okay?!” He almost shot awake when he remembered where he was.

                  “I need you to come with me,” the nurse said, refusing to make eye contact and looking at the ground. Harry’s stomach dropped.

                  He got up and the nurse led him down a different corridor, to a room with a doctor standing outside of it. The door was shut and through the small window he could not see if Kayla was in there or not.

                  “Harry?” The doctor asked.

                  “Yes?” Harry looked up and blinked back a few small tears.

                  “I’m Dr. Martin. Kayla has stabilized and aside from small amounts of pain, she is going to be okay. She’s just going to have to stay here for a few days until we can completely stabilize her and ensure that she is ready to return home. Once she returns home, though, she will have medication she’ll have to take and she will be on strict bed rest.”

                  “Thank god!” Harry yelled as the tears finally escaped his eyes. He wanted to grab the man and hug him.

                  “Uhm,” the doctor started and Harry’s faced dropped, “your child… couldn’t be saved,” a sob escaped Harry’s mouth, “Kayla began to miscarriage and the child couldn’t handle it. The fetus died inside of her and had to be surgically removed.”

                  “Where is she?” Is all Harry could say. Tears now stained his face.

                  The doctor looked to the ground before opening the door to reveal Kayla asleep on a hospital bed.

                  “She’s still asleep from the anesthetic,” he said, “you’re welcome to stay here by her side until she wakes up.” He looked back down at the ground again, “I’m so sorry I couldn’t do more,” he said sounding incredibly disappointed in himself and then walked out with the nurse, closing the door behind them.

                  Harry stayed still for a moment, staring at Kayla’s small body lying in the bed. He took a deep breath and walked over to her, grabbing a chair on his way. He placed the chair next to her bed, sat down, and held her small hand with both of his. He said nothing, he thought nothing, he felt nothing; he only laid his head down on the hospital bed and cried.