Chapter Three

Kayla had to admit it – looking at Harry’s house made her want to cry, in a good, envious, “I wish I lived here”, kind of way. Harry lived in a huge house just outside of town. He had almost no neighbors, a huge yard and Kayla only guessed there was a big, extravagant pool in the back. She pulled into his driveway and put her car in park, still staring at his house.

                “Would you like to come in with me?” Harry asked, the hope in his voice incredibly evident. Kayla unbuckled her seat belt & cut the ignition. Harry took that as a yes and slid out of the car as she did. “You never say very much, you kinda just act and let people figure out what your action’s mean,” Harry noticed as he walked Kayla to his front door.

                “I guess. I’ve always been a shy person. I’m not a girl of very many words usually,” Kayla replied.

                “I really like that about you,” Harry said just before he opened the door for her and escorted her into the huge, beautiful house; the inside just as nice as the outside. Harry’s house was simple and modern but still one of the classiest houses she’d ever been in. Harry walked her into the living room and turned on his tv. They sat awkwardly beside each other on the couch until Harry spoke.

                “You don’t have to feel weird or anything, it’s just us. My parents are away on a business trip and won’t be home for another week. They’re almost never here.”

                “Oh, okay,” was all Kayla could reply. It wasn’t the thought of meeting Harry’s parents that was making her so awkward it was the fact that she was sitting on his couch next to him. Kayla didn’t know how to casually sit next to a guy she didn’t know; she didn’t even know how to casually sit next to people she had known all her life. The fact that Kayla was sitting so awkwardly was making Harry nervous. Since she was awkward, he didn’t know what to do other than to be awkward as well. He stared at the tv in silence just as she did, and occasionally stole a glance at her when she tried to stifle a giggle during the funny parts of the show he had turned on. Harry didn’t know what to do about the situation, he was overwhelmed, and he did what he thought any overwhelmed & awkward boy would do; he reached over & grabbed Kayla’s hand.