Chapter 8: Resonance

"She is smarter than I ever realized," Javier noted to himself.

The man sat down away from the pool. His knees were propped up as he rested his arms on his beard and chin. The water had been dripping from his body and onto the deck. Shira had left to continue overseeing the repairs to the ship. This left Javier once again alone to formulate his thoughts and keep his mind distracted from dealing with his fate. Instead, he tried to think of Shira in an attempt to help keep himself sane. The enigma of her nature seemed to have his mind spinning. It was like trying to solve a riddle.

"Nothing makes sense," he said to himself. "They attacked Oshun to try to conquer it, but this time they launch a raid on Aphadus. They go to great lengths and only manage to capture me. Shira's goals seem to be the same, and yet it isn't. She's buying time with the Adjunct. Why go through all of this?"

His mind tried to put it together as his finger rubbed his beard. "Maybe it is just a big game. They have cameras in here while they watch the human try to go nuts in figuring out the bigger picture."

Javier looked around the room and considered it. From his position, he scanned the room for cameras. His eyes wandered around. There was nothing that he could see, but it was still possible that something hidden was tracking him.

"Shira commented that she's a master strategist. She freely admitted that. It doesn't sound like she's a progressive liar. She had to be the person who planned the attack from the beginning. She is devilishly smart. She has to be. She knew things that I couldn't have, and yet she did. I'm convinced that she was the one that did all of it. She orchestrated the attack on Aphadus. It was perfectly executed with no flaw in it whatsoever. Perhaps.....she is right about this 'cosmic melody' of hers. If she is a person, alien or human, that can correctly plan, strategize, and perform the attack on Aphadus, then she is incredibly dangerous. Yet....., she has made no threats to me directly. She has only warned me of the impending doom I face. I feel like I'm just along the ride to witness something."

His mind began to picture her more and more. She must have made the right points. Was it destiny or fate that guided him to the Garja? Was it the way of the universe, or was it pure dumb luck? He tried to put the pieces together.

"I wonder....could she be turned?" he asked himself. "Her thoughts make her seem reasonable. I feel like she's an ally in a distant land. Her actions seem to place her more in the role of a protector rather than an interrogator. If anything, the last two conversations I had with her, it felt like I was talking to a friend.....ugh....."

Javier tried to put it together. He felt like he was the famed 'thinker statue' where he had one hand on his chin and beard. The only difference was that he was sitting on an alien warship.

"I wonder what you think, Cason?" he asked out loud. "Was it worth dying to protect a planet? Would you feel happy to watch me get captured and go through this whole mess? What would you think of all this? Heh......" he started to chuckle. "Yeah....I can picture what you'd say. I'm trapped on a ship filled with female aliens. I've been speaking with a topless alien woman. Geeze, the chest on her....maybe I've been looking at this all wrong. I can picture what you would say, Cason. You were always the opposite of my thoughts. I've been bleak and down through this. Even Shira understood it. Maybe.......maybe I should just look at this in a positive direction rather than anything else. Yeah, I might be dead tomorrow, but that was always a possibility throughout my whole life."

Javier tapped the ground as he felt a new sense of contentment enter his body. The fight with Girsha'lar still loomed over his mind. The victory was in part due to Shira's actions in telling him. She deliberately gave a weakness of the Shal'rein, including even herself, just for his benefit. He couldn't forget that, and he noted those actions well. Shira, for all intents and purposes, seemed to be looking out for him even during these times. Even the Adjunct's behavior was evidence of Shira's actions. He noted that as well.