Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One

Samantha was exhausted when she stepped out of the post office that evening. She had stacked boxes of deliveries, sorted mail, dealt with customers, and worried over her friends all day—it took a lot out of a woman. All she wanted was to fall into her mans' arm, hear the steady beat of his heart beneath her ear, and feel the peace that only his embrace provided.

And she did not have to wait long. Nearly the instant she stepped onto the boardwalk, Zachary's strong arms snaked around her and she was pulled against his hard body as he buried his face in her curls. "Damn, woman, I missed you."

Samantha closed her eyes and sank into his embrace. "I missed you too."

Zachary's warm breath teased her ear. "I reckon I'm ready to get back to the ranch and get started on those plans you had for us tonight."

A tremble-inducing warmth spread over Samantha as she imagined all the ways her man would love her body beside that river. "That sounds good to me."

Zachary pulled away and took her hand in his, entwining their fingers. "Let's go get Athena and head that way then. Blaze is hitched at the livery."

Samantha leaned into him as they walked, resting her head on his arm. "Did you talk with Tim?"

"Yeah." Zachary sighed. "He wants a future with Eleanor and she doesn't seem to want the same thing, at least not right now."

Samantha felt her heart ache for her friends. "Something is very wrong with Eleanor. Something she won't talk about. I tried and I couldn't get her to open up."

"If you can't get her to talk, no one can."

She was humbled by the love and faith the man had in her. "Not until she's ready to be honest," Samantha agreed. "Where is Timothy? Is he okay?"

"He went to the bathhouse. Said he wanted to clean up before heading to the diner. I reckon he seemed in better spirits and determined to do all he could to convince Eleanor he was a good man for her." Zachary gave her hand a squeeze. "I also talk spoke with him about putting his name on everything at the ranch and making it his just as much as it is ours."

"And did he agree to it?"

Zachary grunted. "Yeah."

"Good. Your family was his family, and they'd want him to have a place there."

Zachary kissed her hair as he blew a long breath through his nose. "You're right. Thank the stars for you, Sam. You keep my head on straight. You've made everything in my life better."

They paused to allow a hound dog to pass in front of them. "I could say the same about you, Zachary Marston. I was hopeless before you came along."

"You're a smart woman," he was quick to counter. "You'd have figured things out."

"Well come along then, sir," Samantha purred. "You've sweet talked me right into that romantic evening at the river and I'm ready to get started."

A low growl rumbled from Zachary's chest. "Yes ma'am."

Just as they were nearing the livery, a voice called out from the other side of the road. "Zachary? Samantha?"

Samantha glanced that way to see Caroline rushing toward them. "Do you think something is wrong at the saloon?" she demanded, pulling away from Zachary and meeting the woman halfway, aware of Zachary staying in step behind her.