6: The unexpected

The school bell had always been my favorite sound after endless hours of hell-called classes.

I still paid attention cause I did not have the choice. I didn't want to come home with bad results, oh my parents would be so disappointed, and I hate it when they're disappointed in me.

I stood up after the long resounding sound from the bell. I hurriedly reach for my book as it was the last class.

I made my way quickly in the hall going over to my locker and throwing everything carelessly in.

I flung my backpack on my shoulder while walking out of school with tennis in my head. I stretched my hand multiple times imagining the tennis field.

Then I felt a hand on my should and immediately froze. "It can't be him, it can't be him..." I bit my lower lip, with my eyes squeezed shut for a split second.

I decided to man up and turn around with a masked face as the hand won't still leave my shoulder.

My jaw dropped when I saw who it was and a huge desiring sigh of relief left my lips.

"Hi O." Downey greeted.

"Hey," I muttered with an eye roll as I turned around to continue my journey.

"Hey?" He repeated after me but with a more questioning tone.

"What's up with you? You seem least concentrated in class today." Downey said to me as he chased after me.

I put a pause on my steps as I rotated to stare at his face. I wanted to let out my venom, though he won't do anything. It was Downey, like Downey my best friend. He knew how to take my shits.

Well, Downey was mixed, his father was black while his mother was white. He was the most radical boy I've ever met. I called him the lawbreaker. He takes shit from nobody except me.

Downey had a cut that would always make me remember his face even in the dark. He had a long cut on his left eyebrow which he got from a gang fight which made him more of a tough Viking. I always thought it went too well with his extremely light skin, you would never know he was black except you were close enough.

"It nothing Dow, I'm not much of a scholar today," I said before resuming my steps.

"Nuh-uh. I won't take that as a response. I know you." He poked my chest and I paused once again before swatting his itching hand away.

"Wow, you have a new hairstyle," I mentioned at his undercuts hairstyle with dreadlocks in the middle, I knew he would shift to deadlocks he had always found them cool. But unfortunately, his parents won't let him I guessed that was why he added undercuts. But it only made him super good.

I was thinking of doing that to my hair too. Wow.

"Oh, this?" He mentioned, "Yeah my pop did not want full dreadlocks so I had to get the undercuts. Do you like it?" He stroked his dreadlocks in the middle of his hair.

"Yeah. But my mum would kill me and my dad, oh, I don't wanna talk about it." I said to him and he understood. Then I bit my lower lip and draw in a long breath.

He furrowed his brows. "What's up with you, man?" He asked.

"Not. Hing" I punctuated my words wrongly while resuming my journey.

"I know you, that long breath and you sucking on your red lips." He emphasized.

"Ah stop. I'm fine. If it degenerates I'd let you know, please don't bug me about it." I yelled while running to the exit with him right behind me.

He caught me too quickly, after all, he played basketball. He immediately tackled me to the floor as soon as his arms ceased my body, I laughed as he tickled me. That boy was so childish.