Six

But for now, at least I knew such people, and they needed me, just like comets need tails. – John Green, Looking for Alaska

◌◌◌◌◌

Six
Six years ago – October 4, 2012

The months went by and the thoughts I originally had of Harry remained. We grew exceptionally close since our day at the fair. We couldn’t last three days without hanging out. It was always a spontaneous thing, but since it happened so often it was predictable. He would come over, sometimes with the boys, and we’d have a lazy day together. Or we’d go on an adventure somewhere. Or he’d visit and distract me at work. It got to where Evan was essentially to the point of banning him from Icy – but I knew that would never happen. Evan liked Harry too much. And I had gotten to know that green-eyed boy real well, falling for him in the process.

It wasn’t like me to change my mind so easily. Months ago, I had my desires set on remaining amiable companions. But after each and every day, my feelings had grown more intense, more consuming. It was agonizing to go on with the masquerade that there was nothing between us. I wasn’t fooling anyone – not even myself.

“What are you thinking about?” Evan questioned, crossing his arms in front of me. I was supposed to be sweeping the floors, but I had been standing still with the broom in my hand for ten minutes without knowing. This was what Harry would do to me.

“Uh, nothing,” I murmured getting back to work.

He shook his head, dropping it. “So Olivia is hosting a party at our place on the twenty-seventh, would you like to come?”

Immediately I felt flattered, knowing that my boss considered me close enough to invite me to an event his wife was throwing. “I’d love to, what kind of party is it?”

“Well, she’s a little over the top, so it’s probably going to be really fancy. The theme is something like… an autumn formal? I really don’t know. Olivia likes to plan these big things,” Evan rambled on, scratching the back of his neck. If I knew him as well as I thought, he was definitely not into that.

“Ah,” I realized. “So I’d need a date.”

“Kind of calls for one. How about you ask Harry, hm?” Evan smirked. I felt my face get hot, sampling the usual scarlet shade on my cheeks.

Harry? With me – as my date? The thought of us attending something like that was odd, but abnormally appealing. He would no doubt look impressive all dressed up.

“You sure that wouldn’t be weird?” I remarked, scrunching up my nose and raising my eyebrow.

“Why would that be weird?” Evan questioned. I wanted to wipe that smug look off of his face.

“He’s like my best friend,” I noted. We were sitting now, ignoring the fact that I was supposed to be working and I was getting paid by the hour.