002. " n o w . o r . n e v e r "

" t h e . l i t t l e . s i s t e r "

- julie and the phantoms-

- c h a p t e r -
- t w o -

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

"One, two three!" My brother counts out, as him and his three friends sing their new song. I nod and tap my feet to the beat.

"Don't look down" I quietly sing along once they get to the chorus.

"They're actually pretty decent." I hear from behind me.

"Hmm?" I ask.

"The band. They're not bad. I saw you walk in with the drummer. He your boyfriend?" The waitress asks from behind me.

"What? Alex? Oh God no. No, He's my brother." I say.

"Oh! Then nevermind. I totally read that wrong."

"No, don't worry about it. I'm Katie, by the way. And this is Lilly" I say, holding out my hand and motioning to my friend.

"Rose." she says, shaking it.

They start clapping the beat. I clap along and sing out loud with them.

"Don't look down - cause we're still rising up right now!" Luke continues to sing until they reach the end.

The crowd whoops.

"Thank you. We're Sunset Curve."

"Tell your friends." Lilly and I yell after her brother. Reggie glares at us and I shrug.

"Too bad we wasted that on the sound check, that was the tightest we ever played." Bobby says, bumping forearms with Luke.

I stare at the boy as he makes small talk with his friends/bandmates, his skin glistening with sweat.

"You got a little something there- oh, nope. That's just drool." Lilly says, wiping the corner of her mouth to mock me.

"Oh, like you weren't staring at Bobby the ENTIRE time?" I say, bumping her shoulder with my own.

"I won't say anything if you won't." Lilly says, holding up her pinky. I roll my eyes and pinky promise her, as the guys make their way over.

"Hey Bobby, where you going?" Luke calls after his friend. Bobby leans against the table Rose is cleaning and says,

"I'm vegetarian, I could never hurt an animal."

"You guys are really good." Rose says, ignoring Bobby's comment.

"Thank you." They respond.

"I see a lot of bands. Been in a couple myself. I was really feeling it." She says.

"That's what we do this for. I'm Luke by the way."

"Hi! I'm Reggie."

"Alex."

"Bobby."

"Choke me..." Lilly whispers under her breath at Bobby's deep voice. All the guys look in our direction. I shove my arm in her side.

"We were working on some lyrics earlier. We'll tell you about it later." I say, recovering for Lilly. They look confused before going back to their conversation.

"Nice meeting you guys." Luke shoves his previously licked finger in Bobby's ear.

"I'm Rose." She smiles, trying to hide her disgust.

"Oh, uhh here's our demo. And a t-shirt. Size beautiful." Reggie hands her the things.

"Really, reg?" Lilly asks, smacking him on the arm. Lilly pulls me to the side, as they continue their conversation.

"Hey, thanks for having my ass." She says.

"Of course. I would only want you to do the same." I smile.

"You know, that was a really good excuse. We should use it more often." She compliments.

"Thank you. I try." I say, giving a hair flip. We laugh as Luke, Reggie and Alex approach us.

"Hey Sunset Swerve." Alex says, ruffling my hair. I groan and smack his hand away. That was what they called us. We are the little sisters. So, it only makes sense to call us the knockoffs. Because, we kind of are the knockoffs...of the family that is.

"We're gonna go get hotdogs. You in?" Reggie asks his sister.

"Yeah, I'll pass. Those things are going to get you killed one day, you'll see." Lilly says.

"Yeah, sure." He says.

"What about you, Kay." Luke asks me.

"Nah, I'm fine with not eating butchered pig with a side of battery acid and a large glass of gasoline to drink." I say.

"Suit yourself." Alex says, holding up his hands.

"That's too bad. I was hoping I could get you a backstage pass." Luke whisper me in my ear, once Alex and Reggie are far enough away in one direction and Lilly in the other.

"You coming Luke?"

"Hurry up, Katie cat." Lilly yells. He winks before walking away.

Little did I know, that was the last sneaky wink or sly comment we would ever share together.

Or so I thought.

752 words