003. " m i d d l e . o f . s t a r t i n g . o v e r "

" t h e . l i t t l e . s i s t e r "

- julie and the phantoms -

- c h a p t e r -
- t h r e e -

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

"Ha ha. Very funny Bobby. Now come on, you're going to be late." I say, dragging Bobby towards the stadium.

"That's what I'm saying. There's nothing to be late to." He says.

"And that's what I'm saying. You can't get me. I'm the QUEEN of pranks. You of all people know that. So stop with this joke you're trying to play, cause it a not going to work."

"It's not a joke, Kay." Bobby says.

"Uh-huh sure. Are you nervous? Is that it? You're nervous, so you're making up a lie that the rest of the band died so you don't have to play?"

"No, I'm not. Katie I'm serious. I was standing there talking to Rose when I got a phone call. Katie they-" He gets cut off by my phone ringing.

"It's the hospital. Let's see how true this joke of yours really is." I say, answering the phone.

"Hello. Yes this is she. Oh my god. And they-. You're sure? Ok. Yes, thank you. Ok. Bye." I hang up and fall to my knees.

"Katie, I'm so sorry."

"It-it was see you later. Not goodbye. I never said goodbye. I never told him I love him." I mumble to myself.

"Where's Lilly?" I ask him.

"She's at the stadium. I don't think anyone's told her. Unless the hospital or her parents called." He says.

"Her parents don't care about their children. They wouldn't tell her anything thing. I doubt they even got a call. Take me. I should be the one to tell her." I say.

Bobby drives me to the Orpheum and we see Lilly standing by the back door.

"There you are! Where's the other three?" She asks as we approach.

"Lilly. They-" Bobby starts.

"Let me. Lills, sit down." I say, guiding her to a chair inside.

"I'm so sorry. When they went to get hot dogs, they must have been bad or something. They got food poisoning and..." I say, feeling the tears fall down my cheeks. 

"So what? They can't play tonight?" She asks, looking between the two of us.

"No, they can't play...ever." I say.

"You're kidding right?" We shake our heads. I hug her tightly and she hugs me back. We sob into each other's shoulders. I look up at Bobby and see a few tears escape his eyes as well. I pull away from Lilly slowly, and she hugs herself, crying. I pull Bobby to take my place next to her, and he comforts her.

• two days later - the studio •

Two days later, I'm laying on the couch in the boy's studio. I staring at the ceiling, when Lilly walks in.

"Oh, hey lil."

"Hey Kay." She says sadly. She lays sits down on the floor, next to Reggie's guitar. She runs her fingers down the strings and sighs.

"I miss them" she says after a while.

"Me too." I say.

"I'm going to pick up some food, want anything while I'm out?" I ask.

"No, I'm ok." She says. I nod and start to walk to the restaurant.

As I'm walking down the street, I feel like I'm being watched. I stop and look around me. I'm on a dimly lit street, and there's no one around. Except for a figure in the middle of the road behind me. I start to walk away, and when I look back, it's walking towards me. I walk faster, trying not to trip. I look back to see the figure has stopped and is reaching for something in its coat.

⚠️

Before I can do anything, I hear a gunshot. I look down at the sudden pain in my stomach. I see a gaping hole covered in blood. I gasp and fall to the ground. I look back and see the figure walking towards me. I scream and try to crawl away, but can't. I hear another gunshot before everything goes black.

⚠️

I look around the room I'm in, and see nothing but black. I sit down and start to cry. So this is death? This is what it's like to die. All of a sudden, I feel the ground beneath me disappear. I start to fall, and I scream. Then I crash onto the hard ground.

I look up and see I'm on the street. I stand up and walk towards someone.

"Um excuse me, where am I?" I ask. She ignores me. I turn around and see someone walking towards me before...walking through me? I look around as someone else walks through me. I look around and see a guy on a skateboard heading straight for me. I turn away right before he crashes into me.

"I am so sorry. I thought you were a lifer." He says, helping me up.

"No problem. I would behave moved out of the way, but I thought you were one too." I awkwardly smile.

"I'm Willie." He says. "Katie." I say, shaking his extended hand.

"Nice to meet you. Where are you doing on the streets." He asks me.

"Well, I'm not quite sure actually. One minute I'm walking down a dark street, the next I'm here."

"When did you die?" He asks.

"Umm, 1995?" I say.

"It's 2020." He says.

"I died 25 years ago?" I ask. He nods.

"Follow me." He says.

• hollywood ghost club •

"This is The Hollywood Ghost Club. Where Ghosts and humans can converse in peace. Come, I want you to meet someone." He guides me backstage and I see a man in a top hat and cape.

"What do you want, William?" The man asks.

"This is Katie. I'll leave you to discus business." Willie says, before leaving.

The man turns around to face me and looks me up and down.

"Katie, hmm? I'm Caleb. Can you sing?" He asks. I nod.

"Well, let's hear it. Come, let's test you out." He leads me to the stage and lets go my hand. A giant spotlight shines on me. I blink from the sudden bright light. I look at Willie and he nods me on. I look forward and begin to sing. (song above)

• after song •

I walk off the stage, over towards Caleb.

"Would you like to join my band?" He asks. "Wha- um-" He cuts me off.

"Think on it." He says, holding his arm out for me to shake. I nod, and glance over at Willie. He shakes his head rapidly. I pull my hand back before Caleb can shake it and see something on his arm. Before I look at it closer, he grabs my arm and shakes our hands forcefully.

"So you don't forget to think on it." He smirks. I look down at my arm and some sort of stamp I look up at him, scared. His smirk grows into a grin. I look over at Willie and see his sorry expression.

Great. Now I have a ghost tattoo.

1189 words