Chapter Five: To Meet A Hero

One problem of working long shifts in the hospital, you had become a light sleeper, especially if you were on call. Since you'd been put on leave though, you didn't have to worry about getting called into the hospital last minute, but your body apparently didn't get the memo.

Izuku's phone buzzed on his nightstand, rattling the whole table. He blindly reached for it in the dark, the call screen lighting up the entire room. You pulled the covers over your face as the light burned your eyes. His eyes were still closed as he answered, voice rough with sleep. It took only a moment before they snapped open and he sat up.

"What do you mean?" He whispered, shuffling out of bed.

You peeked over the covers. He cracked the door just far enough to slip out of the room, leaving you in silence. If you strained your ears, you could hear his muffled voice talking to whoever was on the phone. The clock on your nightstand only read 2:34. Who would be calling so early in the morning?

Well, now that you were awake, there was no chance you were going back to sleep, especially now that curiosity had a hold on you. You threw the covers off and tip-toed to the door. From your position, you could hear him talking quietly from the living room.

"I know. I have a theory, but I didn't have any solid evidence yet." His back was turned and he was running a hand through his tangled hair. "Yeah, call him. Get someone to send a sample down." A beat. "Alright, alright, I'll be there as soon as I can."

You made your way to the end of the hallway and leaned against the wall, waiting for him to finish. Once he hung up, he let out a heavy sigh and turned around. He saw you and straightened.

"I'm sorry honey, did I wake you?" He asked.

You shook your head. "Who was that?"

"Kacchan." He looked down at the phone.

You smirked. "It's almost three. You're telling me the guy who is religious about going to bed by eight is feeling chatty in the wee hours of the morning?"

He cracked a smile and walked over to you, encasing you in his arms. "He was working." He laid his head on top of yours. "And, uh, I have to go meet him."

"Why," You pushed away so you could look at him. "Is he okay?"

"He's fine." Izuku headed down the hall, you trailed after him. "He's on his way to the hospital."

"You just said he was fine. What happened?" You walked into the room and sat on the bed.

He rooted through the drawers for some clothes. "He's bringing Kirishima in. He was hit by some sort of drug."

"Kirishima? Is he okay?"

He paused, staring at a pair of pants in his hands. "I don't know."

"I'm going with you." You headed for the closet.

He grabbed your hand as you walked past. "This isn't a friendly visit, they were working a case for me."

"The Kabuki guy, right?" You asked.

"Yes."

"In case you forgot, I've known Kirishima longer than you. If he's hurt I want to help." You reminded him. "So, I'm going."

He let go and waved toward the closet. "Alright, get dressed."

Once you were bundled up and ready to go, Izuku left a quick note on his mom's door, explaining what was going on. On the way to the car, he walked down to the police cruiser stationed right outside the house to talk to the officers.

You slid into the car and blasted the heat, pulling your coat tighter and snuggling your face into the scarf. It had to be single digits outside. The weather called for snow any day now and you couldn't help but be a little excited.