Wheels

We were sat in the choir room and I could over hear Quinn talking about her money problems. I've never been short of money. I mean I live in the biggest house in Lima. But I don't like to brag. I like a mean girl from the movie. Just without the burn book.

"All right, guys. We're doing a new number for Sectionals. I know that pop songs have sort of been our signature pieces, but I did a little research on past winners, and it turns out that the judges like songs that are more accessible. Stuff they know. Uh, standards, Broadway." Shue tells us.

"'Defying Gravity'? I have an iPod shuffle dedicated exclusively to selections from Wicked. This is amazing." Kurt says excitedly.

"Think you can handle it, Rachel?"

"It's my go-to shower song. It's also my ring tone." She replies.

I roll my eyes. She gets every single solo. Let kurt have one for once. Kurt looks crushed.

"Why do we have to go all vanilla on this song? See, what we need is my chocolate thunder." Mercedes complains.

"Okay, we don't have time to rearrange a song for you, Mercedes. Rachel is singing it. Don't worry, we'll find something for you to dip in chocolate. On to item two. The school won't pay for the special bus we need to take Artie and his wheelchair with us to sectionals."

"W-w-what?!"

"That's completely unfair."

"So we're going to have to raise money to pay for it ourselves. See, when I was in glee club, and we needed new silk cummerbunds for regionals, we held a bake sale."

Scattered laughter. Is he serious.

"You're joking, right? I mean, bake sales are kind of bougie." I tell him.

"So hip people stopped eating delicious sugary treats?" He tries to persuade us.

"It's not that? It's most of us? Don't know how to bake? I find ... recipes confusing." Oh sweet simple Britney.

"My family is fully committed to takeout."

"Yeah, Mr. Schue, kids are busier than when you went here. We've got homework and football and teen pregnancy ... lunch."

"Can't Artie's dad just take him?" I ask.

"I can't believe how insensitive you're all being. Are you a team?" Will asks us.

"Of course. But Artie understands, don't you, Artie?" Quinn asks him.

"Oh... Of course. I-It's cool. Anything that takes away our time  from rehearsing doesn't serve the team." Artie says.

—————————————————

It was the next day. I was sat in mikes lap. He has kinda been there for me since I'm not talking to puck. He's cool.

"I have something I'd like to say. I want to audition for the wicked solo." Kurt says.

There are murmurs of encouragement.

"Kurt, there's a high F in it." Shue tells him.

"That's well within my range." He replies.

There are several ooooh's.

"Well, I think Rachel's going to be fine for the female lead, but I'm happy to have you try out something else, Kurt. And we'll make sure it's got a killer high note."

Kurt sits back down. The others murmur.

"You tried." I tell him.

"Anyway, I wanted to say something to you guys. I was a little disappointed at how you were all so willing to take the bus to get to sectionals and make Artie drive by himself with his dad. We're a team, guys. We're in this glee club together."