Breathe (B.B)

Part 1 of 2 - word count 2k

Warning -  Mentions of panic attack and feelings of breathing

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Brief background

YN had been working and training with the Avengers for about 2 years. She was discovered by Nick Fury after multiple reports of a vigilante with fire powers came in from New Orleans. After a short time settling in, she became close to everyone in the team. Life was pretty amazing. But due to a recent mishap on a mission, YN's past began to start haunting her. Memories of a childhood she long since surpassed.

YN's powers are a results of experimental trials. In which an underground organisation used young children with certain DNA codes to try and create their own brand of supers.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Heat

Scorching 

Intense burning

A orange hue

A raging amber glow

The air was thick and heavy. Every intake of breathe felt solid, the natural nothingness suddenly feeling like a chore to breathe. The thick gas stung every chamber in the lungs.

Panicked screams, blood curdling and soul-wretching. Almost non human, mixed with the violent hissing and roaring of the flames.

They engulfed the room, climbing every inch of the walls and ceiling. Blackening and burning the tiny window on the metal cell door, as the flames themselves, seemed to be trying to find an escape.

The door creaked and groaned as metal began to bend under the pressure of the fiery heat.

"Please!"

"Let me out!" 

"It burns!"  

A small girl's voice rang out in angonsing cries as the flames curled around her tiny frame.

Scattering glass.....

                             ۵     ۵      ۵      ۵

The room was lit by the soft glow of the full moon, casting it's delicate light on the sheer silvery curtains. A cool breeze rustled them as it crept through an open window.

Deep and heavy, short, breaths filled the room as bed sheets were thrown back quickly, pillows tumbling to the floor.

They landed next to the silvery glow of the moon reflected in a puddle of water, making broken shards of glass appear like floating crystals on the dark oak floor boards.

YN slowly sat up, her breathing becoming longer and more focused.

In through the nose, out through the mouth.

It took a moment to be able ground herself. She was safe. She was safe in her room at the compound. They couldn't hurt her here. They were long gone, in the past.

The images green boiler suites, black gloves and orange goggles with gas maskes, etched into her mind.

YN tried to run a shaking hand through her matted hair as it clung to her face and neck. She was drenched as sweat soaked through to the bed sheets. Her pyjamas clung to her making them appear as though they were a second skin.