Chapter 5

As soon as I stepped out of class I knew something was up. Everyone seemed to be radiating around three particular spots, and I had no idea why. I had to push through the mass amounts of crowds to get to my usual spot, and I tried to catch a glimpse of what it was everyone was lining up - well, clumping - for. Unfortunately, everyone was taller than me so I continued on my way, figuring I would ask Andre when I found him.

As I neared our usual spot, I found there to be another line, this one much more orderly. In fact, when I got a closer look I noticed that they were all in my grade. My friend Cole was stood in the line, so I went up to him to find out what is going on.

"Hey Frankie!" he chirped.

"Hi. What's happening?" I was straight to the point, no beating about the bush.

"Don't you remember? Expo day." I gave him a blank look, and with a sigh he continued. "Free hotdogs?"

"FREE HOTDOGS?!"

"Yeah, just jump in line next to me," he offered enthusiastically. Normally I'm not one to skip lines, so I told him I'd see him at the end, and jumped to the back. It was an agonisingly long wait for free food, but that was somewhat understandable. I mean seriously, who's gonna turn down a freaking free hotdog?

I hit the annoying spot of the line, where it crossed the only walkway in the area. Basically, it meant I had to keep making way for someone every 30 seconds, coz no one else was going to. I stood casually waiting, hands in my back pockets when I heard a faint whisper. I brushed it off, figuring it was my mind or the wind or something. Then it came again, slightly louder than the last time.

"Excuse me."

I turned my head around to see (guess who?) that same quiet artist. As I did, I saw the recognition light up in his eyes, and he turned his face down toward the ground. He awkwardly bustled past, knocking me back slightly. "Watch it," the guy behind me growled warningly, and I glared at him before running after the boy.

"Hey! Wait up!" He pretended he hadn't heard me and kept walking along at the same pace. Or maybe he thought I wasn't talking to him, because no one else did. "Wait!" I sped up, catching him easily. "Hey, I just wanna talk."

He came to a halt, turning and facing me. His eyes were wide, but not afraid. He knew I wasn't going to tease him, or make fun of him, or hurt him. "Yeah?" he whispered, barely audible.

I drew in a breath. "Look, I was talking to you a while ago, and -ah shoot, how do I put this-" I racked my brains I can't just say something like 'let's be friends', "and I forgot to tell you my name is Frank." I just realised how weird I must sound chasing after him to tell him my name. I mentally facepalmed.

"I- I'm Gerard." My persistent friendliness seemed to have given him some encouragement, and his voice was much louder. Well, normal speaking volume.

"Hi Gerard!" I grinned widely at him. He smiled shyly back. "Have you gotten your hotdog yet? They're free." I wiggled my eyebrows at him, and he let out a quiet chuckle.

"No, not yet, but didn't you just give up yours?" I felt my smile fall as I realised what I had done.

"Shoot. Well, you should be feeling special right now," I joked. We walked slowly, talking casually about the different things at this year's expo.

"There's this fighting thing where you stand on the platform and try to knock the other person off with a noodle." I followed his gaze to the huge, bright red inflatable 'arena'.

"You know what?" I looked at him with a wide grin on my face.

"Oh no, I am not doing that!" Despite his apparent discomfort for smacking me with a noodle, I dragged him over anyway.