ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔼𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥

Wednesday, July 17th 2011

Suffocating heat.

That's all she could focus on. Not the text book in front of her, not the quiet music, not the even weight of her responsibilities.

It was so hot that day, it was sweltering. It wasn't normally this hot but there was always one day that was out of the ordinary.

Her windows were open but it didn't help when it was just as hot outside. It was a dry day with absolutely no wind and she was just about ready to collapse.

The words on the page were starting to blur together. Alice was tired and sweating and miserable. Kids were supposed to be outside in the summer, they were supposed to be on a break.

But Alice didn't get breaks. Her parents saw a break as a opportunity to get ahead. So she was given textbooks and lessons and quizzes.

She would have the brightest future!

That's what her parents wanted. Alice just wanted to have a bright present as a twelve year old.

Her heels touched the ground and lifted, repeating in motion. Her eyes drooped and her pencil slipped from her fingers.

Was she going to pass out?

She never passed out before, would her parents realize her exhaustion or think of it as an excuse?

"Alice," A whisper tore through her thoughts. She let out a breath, knowing exactly who that was.

"Techno?" She looked to her window and surely enough, there he was. Her best friend. Her only friend.

He grinned in a way that told her he was breaking a rule. "More reading? What are you, some nerd?"

She glanced at her textbook and back at him, "What're you doing?"

"Breaking you out!"

"What?" She needed a double take. Break her out?

"It's like a prison cell in there, you gotta get out," He leaned against the screen. "Come on, I'll help you."

"Tec..I can't, my parents-"

"They don't check on you until dinner! You'll be back by then," He told her.

"But.." She looked at her book. "But they're gonna quiz me, I'll get in trouble if I don't know anything."

"So bring your dumb book and read with me, just escape already!" He whined. "Come on, I rode my bike the whole way here for you!"

Her parents would be furious if she left...but she was basically dying in this room. They'd just say she was overreacting.

"I'll take the blame if you get in trouble," He promised. Maybe a change of scenery would help her focus...

She grabbed her book bag and stuffed the book and paper and pencils inside. She slid on her flip flops and Techno watched with anticipation.

She removed the screen of her window and passed her book bag through. Techno helped her on to the other side and put the screen back in place.