Eavesdropping

Recap from last chapter: Once we got there we sat down at a table next to some Gryffindors (Harry, Hermione, and Ron), we started talking. But after a couple of minutes, we saw some people walk in, it was Professor McGonagall, Professor Flitwick, and Hagrid with the Minister of Magic. They sat down and started talking, I tried not to listen but then I heard them mention Uncle Sirius and I couldn't help it. I had to know what was going on, he is my Uncle after all.

(Elena's POV)

Madam Rosemerta passed our table to get their drink orders and once she was finished she asked, "What brings you to my neck of the woods, Minister?"

"Well, what else but Sirius Black?" He replied, "Did you hear what happend at the school?"

"A rumor," she said, "is he still in the area?".

"I believe so," He said.

"The dementors just searched the whole village and there was no sign of him, they scared my customers away"

"I'm sorry m'dear, I like them no more than you do but they are necessary" he said sadly, "and they are not happy that they can't go on school grounds".

"Of course, we can't teach with them floating around!" Professor McGonagall said.

"That's right," Flitwick chimed in.

"All the same they are to protect you" the Minister said, "Sirius is capable of more than is widely known".

What did he mean by that? What actually happened that day?

"He was one of the brightest in his year," The Minister continued, "But he was quite a trouble maker, I daresay the worst one from the school"

"Well, I think the Weasley twins could give him a run for his money". Added someone but I couldn't catch who. I was too lost in the conversation.

"True," He continued, "but back to the story, his family was so mad that he got sorted into Ravenclaw that they wouldn't even talk to him". Much like me, I added in my head. "So the day he got out of school he went to join You-Know-Who to make his family proud. That day was the day he killed Pettigrew, one of his best friends. And along with that, a handful of innocent muggles too".

I could not believe he had done this, I mean I knew something bad happened, but this? I knew this couldn't be right, why would he do such a thing?