Chapter 1

QUEEN mother Sivagami Devi stared at the myriad scrolls that were scattered across the table in front of her. A few of the women she'd looked at had been quite satisfactory, but none fit for her son. No, she would continue her search, she decided resolutely. She would continue until she laid her hands on an exquisite bride, a woman of no flaws. Exhaling sharply and gently rubbing her temples, she began going through yet another set of scrolls. She would look at women from far and wide, from every nook and corner of Bharatvarsha if it would ensure that she found the flawless bride.

"Your Highness," her lady-in-waiting began timidly. "Surely no woman in the whole of Bharatvarsha is flawless..."

Sivagami raised a hand and silenced the woman. "It is incredibly difficult to find a woman of no flaws. However, it is vital that she possesses the qualities that my son does not."

"Possess a quality that Yuvaraja Baahubali does not?" the woman sounded rather astounded.

"My son is exceedingly naive," Sivagami sighed. "He trusts too easily...and I often find that he puts his faith in the wrong people...even though his heart is in the right place. If Parameshwara is kind, I will find a bride who compensates his flaws. A woman who will partake in political, social and economic decisions. A woman who is well versed in the Upanishads and Smritis. A woman who will stand up for what is right, a woman who will speak her mind. A woman whom Mahishmati will idolise."

The ministers in the room, who had thus far remained silent, nodded in agreement and exchanged glances before man amongst them stood hesitantly and spoke. "Your Highness."

"Dandanayaka," Sivagami consented, gesturing for him to continue.

"I hear of a princess from the kingdom of Kunthala. She holds her head high, makes her own decisions and is fearless in the face of danger. I can arrange for her portrait if Your Majesty wishes."

"Of course," Sivagami said. "And her name, Dandanayaka?"

"Devasena, Your Highness. Named after the daughter of Indira. Roughly translates to the army of the Gods."

"Devasena," Sivagami smiled. Only time will tell if she can do justice to her name."

She dismissed the gathering with the wave of her hand and left to attend to her royal duties.

♛ ♛ ♛

YUVARAJA Baahubali panted for breath as he let his sword slip from his sweaty palms and land on the ground with a heavy thud. He had just finished with an intense practice session with Kattappa. He quickly gulped down the glass of water that an attendant had handed him and splashed a handful on his sweaty face. He sat beside Kattappa under the shade of the century old banyan tree that stood on his training ground.

"Excellent," Kattappa clapped him on the shoulder. "You've proven yourself to be a worthy heir of Mahishmati."

"No greater honour, mama," Baahubali smiled. "Amma always said that I should strive towards becoming an Emperor that people revere and look up to."

Kattappa chuckled. "You've done your mother proud. Her happiness is immeasurable. She told me just last night that once she's found you a bride, everything is set and sorted."

Baahubali sighed frustratedly. "How is it that I have no idea of what is going on in this kingdom? I'm heir apparent, why is it that I remain blissfully unaware of everything?"

If Kattappa was taken aback by Baahubali's mild outburst, he did not show it. "We assumed you would know. It is currently Rajamatha's sole commitment. She is inspecting portraits of girls from far and wide, she is enquiring about princesses from neighbouring countires, she is sending word to kingdoms all across Bharatvarsha so as to find a befitting bride."