Chapter 3

RAJAMATHA Sivagami was delighted upon hearing the wonderful news of her daughter-in-law's pregnancy. She raised a hand to bless Devasena and smiled warmly at her son and his wife, her face radiating with happiness. However, she almost immediately turned grave and spoke in a low voice, "Nobody must know of this news."

"But why?" Baahubali asked. "I must tell mama, and Devasena's family in Kunthala have every right to know, Raja Jayasena, Kumara Varma..."

She shot her son a meaningful look and said, "There is a war going on! Do you not think our enemies will take advantage of the political instability? There are thousands of possibilities, why, the child could be killed before it is even born! Bhallaladeva will instruct his men to eliminate the child, for he is an heir to the throne, a potential Emperor! By announcing this news, as wonderful as it may be, you will put your wife and child in grave danger!"

Devasena could not agree more. This was a game of chaturanga, she realised, and there was only one end goal: survival. She would have to make her moves with utmost caution in order to safeguard her family and protect the throne of Mahishmati. One wrong move could result in peril.

"Rajamatha is correct," she told her husband. "We have already underestimated Bhallaladeva once. We know what he is capable of. The announcement can wait."

"Alright," Baahubali agreed, though reluctantly. "What will we tell the Mahasena?"

"Spin a believable story," Sivagami instructed. "Tell them the commander-in-chief is ill with jaundice, or perhaps smallpox, and she will be replaced by someone of equal calibre! And Maharani," her eyes met Devasena's, "You carry with you an heir of Mahishmati. For the love of Parameshwara, careful."

Devasena nodded obediently. She vowed to herself that she would protect the child, even if it was the last thing she lived to do.

♛ ♛ ♛

"I will send word to my brother," Devasena told her husband. "He will provide us with extra defences, a cavalry of five thousand men."

"We do not need to spill any more innocent blood, Devasena," he replied to her. "I know what you are about to say," he added, as she showed every sign of interruption, "that death is an inevitability in war. Think of the martyred soldiers! Their families! They have wives and young children, ageing parents, families to feed! If they die, due to some foolish squabble for power, who will tend to their loved ones?"

"Still," she persisted, "it is better to spill blood than to lose the empire to a tyrant like Bhallaladeva! He will unleash his wrath on the people of Mahishmati, how would you like that? He will heavily tax his citizens, grab their gold, make their lives miserable while he enjoys the luxuries of royalty, wine and the women of his harem!"

Baahubali had no choice but to grudgingly agree, for there was truth in her words: the Empire could not fall in Bhallaladeva's hands. Years of his mother's toiling would be put to waste, he would let down Kattappa mama and the people of Mahishmati. So he instructed a scribe to put down a letter to Raja Jayasena for troops and sent a trusted messenger to the kingdom of Kunthala. Raja Jayasena's response came the following morning: he would be able to provide a battalion of seven thousand men, they would arrive at Mahishmati that very evening.

The Maharaja announced that their commander-in-chief had, most unfortunately, contracted jaundice, and she was being looked after by Rajamatha Sivagami Devi and rajvaidya Yamuna with utmost care. Kattappa was to replace Devasena as commander-in-chief, while Dandanayaka would take up Kattappa's position. They went through their plans once more, checking for loopholes, discussing tactics, and planned carefully for the following morning. The Persian troops were expected to arrive in the early hours of the next day.