Chapter Three

Chapter Three: I'm a man who'd give his life, and the joys of this world

Present-day

Alistair went back to their room and found his wife removing the fluffy blanket from their bed and carefully folding it in the basket she had placed on the rectangular ottoman on the foot of their bed. There was a nervous glint in her eyes that she's been trying to hide from her husband.

"Baby, I got you your coffee." He said and placed both of their coffee cups on the side table. Lending help to his wife in removing the bed sheet from his side and taking over in folding it before he opens up the call he had with Detective Hyde about the witness protection program on hand for Natalia.

He waited until the two of them settled on the balcony lounge with coffee in their hands. "I had a call from Detective Hyde." He started as his wife looked at him. He carefully picks his next word from what the Detective said.

Putting your wife in the protection program is necessary Alistair, after all, she is the sole focus of the infamous monster. But we must do this discreetly.

Sensing his husband's doubts, Natalia sighs and sets down her coffee. "Ali, I'm his only focus. I doubt that he would murder someone again as long as he got me." Scared as she might be, but she knew that Damien is coming for her no matter what and no one even her husband can protect her from that.

"Are you out of your mind?" It wasn't his intention to raise his voice at her, but he had no choice but to knock some senses out to his wife. "We will do everything just to protect you. He would have to kill me before he lays his hands on you." ." A bit annoyed with his wife, he got up and went to shower for work.

Natalia laid back on the lounger and heard her phone's pings a notification.

Ugh, The manuscript!

She hurriedly went to her laptop and printed the manuscript she had prepared for reviewing for her meeting with her publisher this afternoon.

Despite the small commotion they had on the balcony earlier this morning, Natalia reached out to her husband and the two made up.

"I just want you to know that I love you and I will do everything I can to keep you safe, okay?" Natalia nodded in agreement and despite much reassurance; Alistair knows deep inside his heart that his wife will still be worried. "Now, let me drop you off at Subtle Publishing for your meeting."

It's an hour drive away from their house to Natalia's destination but Alistair insisted to drive his wife there for security and Highland Medical Center is just thirty minutes away from Subtle Publishing.

With a trembling hand, Natalia adjusted her long-sleeve top and dusted off the imaginary dust on the folder of her manuscript. What if this one is a flop, my previous book became Highland's Best-Selling Novel.

As if on cue Alistair held her hand and softly ran his thumb in circles on her trembling cold hand. "You'll do great baby like you always do."

His inevitable faith is what brings the best out of Natalia and it is one of the reasons why she hasn't given up yet. This man deserves everything in this world, not a woman who needs to be taken care of 24/7.

Natalia breathed in before turning on the radio and as if the stars aligned, their song echoed through the car speaker and before they knew it, they were singing along.

Every day I wake up next to an angel,

More beautiful than words could say.

They say it wouldn't work,