The Myth

Everything has a creation story; different places have different tales that rival one another.

 However, Lycans? We're the special ones. 

We know exactly where we came from – how we ended up on Midgard; where we go when we die. Our myth is our truth, our origin.

Hati and Skoll – the wolves who pulled the moon across Midgard's dark sky – roamed the ancient lands of Sweden under the blessing of their master: Mani, Norse god of the celestial Moon. The minor deities could shift from beast to man with his gift – to walk amongst the mortal men and women without suspicion.

Hati took on the form of a silver-haired young maiden during her time on Midgard, while Skoll took on the form of a raven-haired young man. They were considered the first Alpha and Luna, despite not being a mated pair. Both deities had a pull on the humans of the village they called their temporary home. Men became entranced by the beautiful Silver Lycan, and women swooning over the strong male Lycan. From the heavens, Mani had seen the bonds his deities unknowingly created with the village, strings that attached to Skoll with each human that became more and more connected to his wolves.

Skoll and Hati were unsure when they began to be courted by humans, the actions foreign to them, but the wolves learned. It was only a matter of time before Hati was pregnant by a human male named Val, and Skoll had gotten a human female – Astrida – pregnant. Both Lycans became possessive and protective of their mortal partners, stressing during their nightly runs as their wolves in the sky. It was a simple six moons when the first generation of pups was born. It became the best and worst day in the many centuries that the Wolf Gods had existed.

The Deities' deal with their master was valid – only staying on earth from dawn until dusk and having to leave the village, mates, and pups. Val and Astrida were unaware of who their significant other was, as Skoll and Hati's identity had to be kept hidden. Humans had gotten the story incorrect when it came to the wolves. They had believed Hati and Skoll were evil, that they chased the moon and sun instead of pulling the chariot of Mani. It was hard keeping this information from the mates they loved, significantly when their pups grew in age.

It was Hati's mate first who finally found resentment in their relationship. Val had allowed the outside village women to whisper in his ear like snakes, planting the seed of doubt of Hati's fidelity in their relationship. He confronted her, yelling like a madman about her disappearing every night, leaving right before Mani raised the moon across the sky from being chased by the evil wolves. Hati had snapped at her mate's words, and her eyes had shifted from their pale grey color to a steel silver. She warned him not to continue and not doubt her loyalty to him, just as she will never question his devotion to her. Val continued to push. Hati shifted in their home, a silver wolf taking the woman's place as she held down her mate with her more substantial body. Despite his doubt, Hati loved her male.

A knowing sense washed over the female, and without hesitation, Hati lowered her jaw down to her scared male's neck, gently piercing the skin between his neck and shoulder, marking him as hers. She created an unbreakable bond for her and Val, a tight rope that connected her immortal heart to his. She shifted back into her skin, sitting on top of her shaken and scared male before she began to explain. Hati explained who she was, that she was Mani's wolf, and she was not evil. Her disappearing was her serving her master every night before she would return to be with Val and their son. She went on to speak about her ability to shift from human – or skin – to wolf. Instead of running for his life – like any sane human – Val stuck beside Hati. The mark on his neck did not allow him to fear who his mate was, despite her being a feared deity.