-Three-

I hated nights. Nightmares overcame me, and I didn't have any way to escape them. Once upon a time, I had been prescribed sleeping medication but it ended up affecting my day, so I decided to stop taking it. So now, I deal with the nightmares straight on and hope for the best, which probably isn't the best technique. 

So now I was driving to school after getting a solid three hours of sleep, no big deal. Students my age pull all-nighters all the time, right? I can make it through.

I stopped by my locker quickly, not bothering on waiting for my friends to say good morning. I just wanted to get to my desk in my classes and put my head down. Plus, I don't want to handle the inevitable argument between us considering I hadn't told them Kyler Thomas was in two of my class periods. 

"Someone looks tired," I heard Kyler pull the chair out next to me, taking his seat. I lifted my head up, sending him a small smile as a way to say 'hello.' 

"Rough night?" He grinned, dropping his backpack on the floor and pulling his notebook out. Ms. Williams was already in the classroom, sipping her coffee over at her desk. I wanted coffee.

"You have no idea, "I muttered back to Kyler. Ms. Williams stood up from her desk, walking to the front of the room right as the final bell rung, signaling that class could now begin and late passes would be handed out to anyone still roaming the halls.

"Good morning, everyone," She cleared her throat, "I hope you all had an amazing first day yesterday. Now that we've gone through the syllabus, you all know what you need to know about me. But I still have no idea who you all are, and that is the inspiration for your first assignment."

Typically teachers like this liked to do an ice breaker or an 'About You' worksheet. I had absolutely no desire to participate in either. In fact, I despised the assignments that had anything to do with talking about myself. My college essay was complete crap because of this. But the more people knew about me and my life, the more light would be shone on my past and I couldn't have that.

Dad would literally kill me.

"You will work with your desk partners, and you will be conducting an interview. You may work on this during the entire class, and even after class if you really want to get the details of your partner. It's due on my desk in two days, on Friday. I encourage you to put some thought into your questions and really get to know your partner. But also remember that what you write, will basically be my first impression of you, so please, don't admit that you've had alcohol," She sighed and I wondered how many students were stupid enough to confess that to a teacher that clearly cared about the rules.

She went back to her desk, signaling that we could begin our work and I almost groaned when Kyler's smile appeared on his face. "Alright, partner. Let's do this."

We opened our notebooks, brainstorming questions to ask each other. Mine were very basic, like 'what college do you want to go to,' or 'what's your favorite thing about high school so far?'

I glanced over at his notebook and saw more extreme questions regarding my past and future and how it all loops together. Yup, this was going to suck.

After finishing coming up with questions, I directed my attention back to Kyler. Truthfully, I'd like to know more about him. I've been annoyed by his presence in the past, but now I'm more intrigued. Is he always this playful and nice? Or was this just a facade covering up a more intense version? 

I watched as he ran a hand through his thick hair, the sleeve of his dark blue hoodie falling a bit. A strand of hair fell back in his face and I had the sudden urge to reach up and push it back.

What? Addy, stop thinking. 

"Like what you see, Princess?" I cringed slightly at the use of my new nickname. I wasn't fond of it at all, and it strongly reminded me of my childhood. Dad would call me his little girl or 'princess' when he was both punishing me, or if he was in a good mood. But I couldn't speak up and ask Kyler not to call me that, not without an explanation which I could not provide.