Background

"Who exactly is this 17-year-old that had the balls to use a Ouija board?" you may be asking. Well, it's me, the author of this story. And the dead horror icon is Wes Craven.

Wes Craven (1939-2015) was a director, writer, and producer of mainly horror films for those of you who don't know. Some of his most famous films include The Last House on the Left (1972), The Hills Have Eyes (1977), A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), and the Scream movies (1996-2011). These films have had an enormous impact on pop culture, particularly A Nightmare on Elm Street and the Scream films.

In high school, I decided to watch Scream one day out of morbid curiosity. Little did I know that it would change how I saw horror films. The movie was so scary but also so funny and quotable. It knew what it was doing, and there was not one second where I got bored. I then watched the other films in the franchise and the television series.

On August 30, 2015, the day before I started my junior year in high school, my mother came into my room and told me that Wes Craven had passed away. I immediately stopped what I was doing and looked up the news. It turns out he had brain cancer, and I didn't know it. I was devastated, and to this day, I still wonder how I got through my first day of school. Then, that same night, I just lost it. It felt like I had lost a family member; that's how significant the loss was. Even worse, I would never get to meet him at a convention and tell him how much his work meant to me.

Or so I thought.