05 - The After Party

Paniangwit Fund-Raiser Has A Surprise Ending
By Laila Farzan

Yesterday's fund-raiser organized by well-known socialite and philanthropist Sheena Paniangwit for the Holy Faith Orphanage at Set Siri Road ended up raising more than just donations for a new wing for infants.

The well-attended charity event threw up a pleasant surprise when one of the guests, a Swiss diplomat invited by Sir Stephen Bloom, decided to adopt one of the orphan children who participated in the event.

Reliable sources have confirmed that the diplomat and his wife have been trying to adopt for over four years and are registered with several top adoption agencies in Thailand.

Their request is expected to be pushed through the official channels at the earliest.

When contacted, Mrs. Sheena told this reporter, "I feel fortunate and honoured to be a part of the Holy Faith family. When one of our children is adopted, we do our best to make the process as smooth and hassle-free as possible for the adoptive parents as well as the child. It was a very appropriate ending to the 'Adopt a Crib' idea that yesterday's event was based on."

The fund-raiser, conceptualized by a local event organization company, included a gourmet lunch by Chef Gustad and a baby show in which the six-year old participated.

The event was an all-round success, with the collected donations surpassing the targetted amount."

The newspaper fluttered on the table. The article had appeared on Page 4 of a city newspaper the following day.

Although it didn't mention us by name, our work was in the papers.

I would have savoured the achievement, had it not been buried under my total mortification and utter embarrassment stemming from a paragraph in an article about Bangkok's Most Eligible Bachelors on Page 3.

"Earth Pirapat, the scion of the W Group of Industries and a highly successful entrepreneur in his own right, is by far one of the most eligible bachelors of Bangkok.

While never having admitted to being in a relationship, he has been seen regularly in the company of ramp favourite Pamela Bloom, the daughter of Sir Stephen Bloom.

Sources say they have been seeing each other for over a year, and it is only a matter of time before they announce their commitment.

However, at a recent charity event, Earth was seen getting intimate with a certain handsome young thing on the sidelines, even though he was Pamela's guest at the event.

There is clearly a question mark on Earth's availability. But until he confirms otherwise, he is still on our list of Bangkok's Most Desirables."

The piece had been penned by Laila Farzan, queen of gossip and a regular Page 3 reporter.

I didn't know who she was, or how she knew about the kiss or the walk.

It hit me then that it happened right out in the open, in full view of anyone and everyone who might have stepped out of the hall for a breather or a smoke.

I began to panic.

What had I done? My only saving grace was that my name was not out in the open. But Earth's had been besmirched by an act of hormone-driven foolishness by me.

It wasn't even a real kiss, just a quick peck, a barely-there contact between lips, just like when you brushed against someone accidentally. It was nothing.

Who was I kidding... it was monumental. It was in the papers, for crying out loud.

And everyone who was at the party was going to know it was me. Who saw us together? Who leaked it to the press? Was it Wat? He wouldn't do that. Or would he?