08 - Shine On You Crazy Diamond

"I'll do it" said Earn without preamble or context, nodded at us both and walked away.

I waited until the tapping footsteps receded before I let out a low whistle and slow clapped.

"Dr Khaotung, you sly fox. I swear to God, I have never seen this happen so perfectly even in movies."

Fong turned to me, a bit bewildered.

"I don't understand. Should we go after her?"

"I think you definitely should. She's cute" I said walking to where he stood and clapped his back, giving him a broad wink.

"What are you talking about?" asked Fong, genuinely puzzled.

My best friend, ladies and gentlemen. The sharpest tack in the box when it came to other people's feelings about other people. A soft mound of crusty earwax when it came to other people's feelings about him.

"Come on, doc, don't tell me you didn't see what I saw. She likes you."

Fong looked at me like I'd lost my marbles. Which I admittedly had, but that had happened years ago and was more a general ditziness, unrelated to the matter at hand.

"You're nuts, Tine. Let's go talk to Gift. She can guide us best. And I have a shift starting in an hour that I need to rush to" said Fong, pushing me to the door.

"Nuts, schmuts, Fong, baby. I know you felt it too" I muttered under my breath, with a sly smile.

We ran into Gift who was hurrying up the corridor to meet us. She beamed at us.

"That was the quickest she's ever said yes to a commissioned project. Congratulations, gentlemen. Earn will do your show. I'll send you an email with the details I need.

Just out of curiosity, what did you say to her?"

I threw a sideways glance at Fong, who was looking intently at the carpeting in the hallway.

"Just how much we admired her work" I told Gift, with a smile.

She looked uncertain, but let it go.

Fong was busy checking out the wallpaper now.

"Ms Gift, would you have the contact for the contractors who did up this corridor? My friend here seems to really like the decor" I asked innocently, earning a glare from Fong.

"Sure. I'll send it along with the email" said Gift, her smile faltering just a little bit.

Clearly, she too was convinced I'd lost my marbles.

She saw us off at the elevators, chatting along the way.

"Do say hi to Wat for me. Tell him First and I are still waiting for him to come home for dinner one of these days.

And tell him, I agree" she said, with a twinkle in her eyes and a quick squeeze of my arm.

"Agree with what?" I asked.

"Ask him yourself" she said and waved at us as the elevator doors closed.

It was my turn to look puzzled and Fong's to look smug and self-satisfied.

"Don't even" I said, holding a hand up at Fong and looking in the opposite direction from him.

"I wasn't about to say anything" he said, smiling.

"I've known you for twenty years, baby. Don't think I didn't notice your energy shifting just now.

And don't roll your eyes behind my back."