Chapter 7 - Outside

A knock rapped on the door to the woman's room, interrupting her thoughts as she stared at the screen in front of her. It was a picture of the girl that had escaped from her lab a couple of weeks ago. The girls hair was cut short, in order to make surgeries and testing go easier and her eyes were closed, in the picture she looked about thirteen or fourteen but the woman knew that years had passed since the picture had been taken. The knock came again, followed by a voice, "Excuse me sir, we have some new intel."

The woman sighed and looked up, "Come in then."

The dark wooden door opened and a man in his mid-thirties, dressed in a long white lab coat that covered the tan slacks and neatly pressed shirt underneath. His hair was trimmed neat and the signs of a lack of shaving showed on his chin, the black rimmed glasses that sat on his face began sliding down his thin nose, the man pushed them back before setting down a file on the woman's desk.

"Thank you Ted." The woman nodded curtly, Ted was one of her best doctors and her most loyal one too. He had been at her side since the beginning, helping her explore the human mind and the unknown, he was basically the reason that she was where she was today.

Ted sat down in front of her, "Are you sure you want to risk this entire operation for a single girl?"

The woman used her long red-painted nails to flip through the file, Ted shivered, the color reminded him of blood, he continued speaking, "I mean we have others, subject 023 is showing signs of improvement and subject 041 is ready to begin testing."

The woman stopped reading and looked up at the scientist, "Doctor I don't care what happens to the others, I just want her. Don't you see Ted? She's the key to everything! She's the key to unlocking the human mind. No other child has shown that much success!"

"If we go after her, our whole operation could be discovered and shut down, we aren't exactly a legal operation." The doctor argued.

The woman waved her clawed hands, "Ted, Ted, Ted, you worry too much. I have a plan to get her back. Maybe even the boy as well."

The man looked at the woman, meeting her dark brown eyes, her dark-red lips that were perfectly shaped, and her hair which reached just below her shoulders. She continued talking, "A few days ago I received word that Kelsey is staying with a group called the Avengers in New York, now they are coming here, to find other survivors."

Ted cringed at the work survivors, he knew there were none. There were eight others that had tried to escape and managed to get as far as Kelsey and Artie had gotten before being gunned down by the barbarians they hired as guards. While the woman had referred to the massacre as a cleanse, "getting rid of the failed ones" Ted had mourned for them, the children that had become his projects, the work he had put into them, the research he had lost. His glasses slid down his face again, he placed them back on the ridge of his nose, "What are you going to do?"

The woman smiled, an evil glint shone in her eye, "They're going to save me and take me back to their base. There I will find Kelsey and her friend. A group will follow me so when I do find them, they can break in and get us all out."

Ted went cold, if she found the girl, and even if she managed to get them out, how long would it take before Kelsey's new friends would find them and kill them all?

"Are you sure that's a good plan?" Ted asked quietly, not wanting to upset his boss.

The woman smiled again, "Ted, I have to get them back, they are both family. A good mother never leaves her children behind."

*********

Kelsey wrapped her 'I Love New York' sweatshirt tighter to her chest, winter was definitely on the way. Peter and Kelsey had just walked around Times Square going in and out of the giant stores for hours, there was no way to fit everything in all day. Kelsey could've just sat at a table by one of the cafes for hours just watching everyone. She had never seen so many people before.