Chapter II - Jaws of the Wolf

It was like the forest itself was against Emily. Branches tore at her arms and clawed her face. Roots reached up to trip her and the ground grew ever slicker from the pounding rain. Her apron and vest were already torn thanks to her two admirers, and the rest of her clothing was being torn bit by bit.

Behind her she could hear the great wolf growing ever closer. How it could fit through the thronging trees, she didn't know. It's heavy footfalls shook the earth and brush was trampled underneath. Now she could even hear it breathing. A sickening truth formed piece by piece in her mind as she ran. The wolf wasn't even trying to catch her, not really. It should've caught up with her ages ago, but it let her keep running. Why? Why? Was it playing with her?

The howls began again. Dark shapes flitted through the trees on either side of her, eyes glinting gold in the gloom.

And then the ground disappeared. Emily rolled down a steep hill, crashing against trunks and stumps, sharp sticks and rocks gouging at her back, neck, sides. She hit the bottom with a wet thud. Dazed, she pulled her uninjured arm away from her face, eyes unfocused as she gazed at the strange structure before her.

Pale pillars of rough cut stone soared into the stormy sky. They formed a large ring and in the middle stood a flat stone table with a silver brazier. What the hraeka is this? She'd never seen anything like it. But she didn't have time to ponder this strange new arrival.

The silver wolf leapt off the top of the hill, landing between her and the pillars. Other wolves melted out of the rain soaked shadows, much smaller than the silver one. Still, larger than a horse was too large for Emily.

Something warm was dripping down Emily's face, temporarily blinding her. She wiped her face, pulling her hand away to find it covered in blood. Damn it. What had she hit her head on? How deep was the cut? A noise made her jerk her head up, and as she did her vision seemed to slow down and it took too long to focus on the beast that approached her. She tried to push herself upright with one hand, but her arm shook and gave out.

Snarls and growls sounded from the other wolves, but Emily couldn't tear her eyes away from the silver giant. She blinked away rain, blood, and tears, trying to keep eye contact. She couldn't make it longer than a second. All she could do was stare at some point to the side of the golden gaze, like the pale patches above its eyes that almost looked like eyebrows, or it's lolling tongue, or the sharp, sharp teeth that would no doubt be tearing her apart in a few seconds.

Just as running had been sheer instinct driven solely by fear and the need to escape, a new primal instinct kept her pinned to the ground. Even if she'd had the physical strength to stand, her mind had gone utterly blank with terror. She was playing dead, foolishly hoping to be left alone if she stayed still enough, praying that submission would let her live.

The wolf was inches from her face. Emily closed her eyes as it's hot breath washed over her, silent tears still slipping down her cheeks. Its cold nose brushed against her neck, making her jump. What is it doing? Why won't it just kill me? She'd never known a dog to play with its food. It continued to sniff and nose at her--suspiciously. The word jumped to mind without reason. But it fit. The wolf was acting like it was suspicious of Emily.

    Why did her death have to be so drawn out? Was being the victim of kidnap and assault not enough for whatever vindictive fate had planned her end? Please stop. Just let it end. Let it end.

    And it did. For the second time that night, Emily fell into darkness. Though this time it was almost gentle. And yet--

    Abnormal. But Emily was in no state to think about the presence that had forced her into unconsciousness.