1

I miserably gaze at the clear reflection of myself in the mirror, leaning closer to the glass as my eyes trail over my face, carefully examining the complexion of my skin.

My finger tips lightly trail over the few bumps and blemishes that have obviously been produced over the course of the night. Both of my arms lazily drop down to my sides as I let out a load groan out of irritation, rolling my head back and squinting my eyes shut. I can't go out in public like this, it looks like a volcano has settled right in the center of my face.

Society would definitely not treat me lightly on this. I am basically forced into covering all of my imperfections with make up. Well, everyone is, and it's all because of society, I can't stand it. Actually, I despise it.

Flaws must always be invisible. Politeness, and smiling is necessary, and the humans here aren't human. At least that's what it always feels like.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who thinks that this is all crazy. The rules, the people, the officials.

A perfect society along time ago may have seemed as a wonderland, but now that it has been brought to life by the officials and forced upon everyone, it has turned into something much, much worse.

Imperfections are what make us ourselves, what make us different from others, what makes us who we are, but being forced to live in the society of perfection, showing any signs of them is against the rules.

It's completely morbid, and I laugh at how people think what the officials are doing to us is normal, and most of the time I think that I am the only sane person around because no one else ever does anything about it.

Sometimes I like to make myself believe that things will get better tomorrow, that everything will change once and for all, but I've been through so many tomorrows and still nothing has changed. I've lost all hope.

"Amara, the town meeting is starting soon, you should get ready!" I hear my mom abruptly call from downstairs, dissolving all of my thoughts. All the town meetings are basically all the same, the end result is that the officials usually prohibit an article of clothing to be worn anymore, permanently.

I rush to cover my blemishes as best as I can with a light concealer I had lying on my dresser, making them disappear out of sight. I quickly grab a dress that was hanging in my closet, one that I am disgusted by. The fringe that lines the bottom of it has faded into dull green from all the previous times I have used it, the rest of the dress splashed with the colors of yellow and white. Given that everything we wear is chosen by the officials, I really have no choice but to wear it, we barely have any freedom.

I grab my brush from out of one of my drawers, giving my hair a quick brush before swiftly walking out of my bedroom door and running down the stairs. I try my best to avoid tripping over the rug like I did last time, succeeding, and walking out of my front door, taking long strides towards City Hall. I hope I arrive on time.

The City Hall isn't far away at all though, five minutes walking distance at the most, I probably wont be late.

Sometimes I wish it was farther away because I hate the building so much, especially the people that own it. I hate almost everything.

My boots pad along the paved cement sidewalk as a sudden brisk wind wisps past me, causing the thin strands of my hair to fly up in all directions. I huff in a slight annoyance as I reach my hand up to smooth back down the now tangled pieces of hair.

A couple of other people walk in front of me speaking to their friends or whoever they're with, the sound of mine and everyone else's footsteps colliding together and disrupting the silent street.