Call Me What You Will

There was a human in the forest again; Kei could tell by the way the trees and bushes whispered with unease and surprise. He could hear it in the stumbling footfalls and heaving, fearful breaths. There was a human in the forest, and they were running away from something and towards Kei.

The human came to a stop behind Kei, all ragged breaths and coughs from the dry winter air. Kei did not turn around to face the human, instead choosing to watch the moon's reflection glimmer off the frozen surface of the pond. He had no interest in humans any longer; they only reminded him of the bitter pain of betrayal. Still, as the human caught their breath, they called out to him with a familiar voice and name. "Tsukki"

Kei whipped around to face the human, shock and hope piloting his movements before he could react logically. There he was, Yama, kneeling on the snow-covered ground, chest shaking with exertion. His trousers were already darkening at the knees with melted snow, and the thin nightshirt left little to the imagination; Yama was not dressed to be out in this kind of weather. Long olive hair whipped in the wind, far longer than when Kei had last seen it, partially obscuring the smattering of freckles that Kei knew to grace the other's tan skin. Doe eyes stared back at him, full of wonder and hope and heartache. Kei stood there motionless for only a moment before he collapsed into the snow and engulfed Yama in a much-needed hug. What else was there for him to do?

The dam of emotions broke just as snow started to fall from the sky. Both of their bodies shook with wet, shuddering sobs as they clung onto each other for dear life. No words were said as they cried, simply a solidarity in tears. Snowflakes settled on Kei's tear-damp face, and the cold brought more tears to his eyes. After a few minutes, both Kei and Yama pulled back from the hug to take a proper look at each other. Neither, however, relinquished their grips, Yama clutching Kei's shoulders in a vice-grip and Kei gently cradling the other at the ribs, too afraid to let go.

Yama's face was now blotchy and red like it always got when he cried, tear tracks ran down his face, and sniffling couldn't keep the other's nose from running. Kei should not have found beauty in the bloodshot eyes and dark bags of Yama's face, but he cherished the sight nonetheless. Yama had lost some of the baby-fat in his five-year absence but was still soft and comforting in face. Earrings now graced Yama's lovely ears, winding copper things that laced up from the lobe to the shell; they suited him. As Yama brought up a hand to card through Kei's hair, he saw it, a ring. It was only a flash in his peripheries, but the ring was there; a wedding band. It mattered not, they would talk later, but Yama had started shivering, so Kei wordlessly took him by the hand and started the short trek to his home.

Kei knew Yama had never been to the fae lands proper, but his abode rested just on the outskirts, and the forest always loved Yama, so problems were unlikely. Snow had soaked through Kei's shoes and into his socks by the time they made it there, and despite Yama's chattering teeth and shivering frame, he still stopped to stare. The awe in the human's eyes made sense when Kei remembered just how different fae architecture was from that of the humans. The fae used the forestry around them to grow their homes, large trees winding their trunks together to form walls and shelf mushrooms sprouting as roofs and stairways. It certainly was a stark contrast from the angular lumber and stones that made human buildings. But still, it was cold, so Kei pulled Yama inside; he could gawk later.

They barely spoke as Kei stoked the fire and brought warm, dry clothes. The silence, however, was companionable and sacred; Kei would not be the first to break it. Luckily, he didn't have to, as Yama, now swaddled in warm cloths and cradling a bowl of soup, made to speak.

"I'm so, so sorry, Tsukki. I-" he took a breath, "I have a lot to explain to you, don't I?"

Kei sighed, a proper conversation was long overdue, "Yes, I suppose you do. What happened? Weren't we friends?" Friends, the word near burned Kei's tongue as he spoke. Oh, how he wanted so much more, but the ring on Yama's finger proved testament to the fruitlessness of Kei's desires.