In the Woods Somewhere

It had only been two weeks, and Kei already hated it here. Summer break was meant to be spent in enjoyment, not suffering in some hick town up north. So what if Kei spent his summers holed up in his room, listening to music, reading, and playing video games. He could be doing worse things; Akiteru once spent his summer break totaling the family's car in a desperate attempt to impress some girl. Really, his family should be grateful that Kei was so mellow and quiet; this was an undeserved punishment. But alas, in his parents' eyes, it wasn't acceptable for the college senior to be spending another break indoors.

So now, as if he were a child being sent off to summer camp, Kei had been forced to go along with Akiteru to his girlfriend's stupid hometown. Not that Saeko wasn't nice, she treated Akiteru well and made him happy, but Kei did not want to spend his summer living with her and her insufferable brother. Not that he was given much of a choice.

The town itself wasn't too bad, it was small and quiet and neighbored a rather nice forest, it's just that the town was awful to live in. It was too far out from any major cities to have anything interesting, and its remote location meant cell signal was mediocre at best. The people were the worst, though. All nosey small-town types; everyone knew everyone else and didn't know when to mind their own business. They also all had these weird superstitions, still believed in nonsense like faeries and magic and reincarnation.

Kei knew he shouldn't be this bitter; he had no real reason to account for his sour attitude. His parents doted on him and Akiteru equally, Akiteru himself was a wonderful brother, and Kei was smart; well on his way to becoming successful. There had been no heartbreaks or dramatic girlfriends to cause his cynicism either. Akiteru thought the lack of girlfriends was the cause, but no matter what his brother said, getting laid would not change Kei's life outlook. He had always been like this, some part of his heart or soul or some other drivel seemed to have been hardened at birth. Kei could never seem to shake the insurmountable emptiness he felt, could never break away the ever-present protective shell. It didn't matter; he still hated it here.

There really was nothing to do out in the town, but anything would be better than listening to the younger Tanaka gush endlessly about his girlfriend, so Kei decided to take a stroll. All things considered, the place was pretty idyllic, in that charming storybook sort of way, and Kei found himself somewhat enjoying the walk. Already, he was familiar with the thin alleyways and winding side paths, so meandering about the town gave him time to think.

Something about the town made him restless, Kei realized. The strange missing feeling that he had grown to ignore over his life seemed to rear its head with strength a thousandfold on this place. It unnerved him, the way his own mind nagged and needled, telling him something was missing. Kei had never lacked for anything in his life, yet all instinct told him there was something he needed desperately but didn't have.

Kei was at the entrance of the forest path when he snapped out of his contemplation, and evening was fast approaching. His walk had taken the better half of the afternoon, and the setting sun lit the trees in a warm glow. Kei really didn't want to spend another 'family dinner' playing fifth wheel, and the instinctual tug in his gut was stronger than ever, so into the forest he went.

It was odd, walking down the forest path. Kei had never been all that appreciative of nature, but navigating these woods felt almost as natural as breathing. His feet carried him deep into the forest, following a trail of their own making. Kei should have been worried about getting lost, but the ever-present ache in his chest was dulling, so he cast his fear aside.

The forest was truly ancient; thick trunks and mossy undergrowth surrounded him at every turn. Strange mushrooms and tiny flowers adorned the gnarled roots of the trees, small specks of color amidst the brown. Something about the place radiated a familiar yet unnatural beauty, the colors too vibrant and the plants too perfect. It looked more like a set for some fantasy movie than an actual forest, yet it was all real.