The Library

Chapter 1

Addilyn

        "You know you could be nicer to people. That might just help you avoid after school detention or next time you get mad at a teacher wait until you are out of the room to curse. You were like five steps from being outside. You could have slammed the door and cursed the door out but nope that is to simple. You just had to say "Fúck you, I hate this class", on your way out. I think you enjoy detention." I roll my eyes. This isn't the first time I've heard this rant from my best friend, Elora. "I actually do enjoy it now. They started sending me to the library instead to help sort out books and stuff. It takes awhile and helps me escape my insane family. You know, just the other day, my mom tried to ride my brothers bike." She just shrugged. "It would have been nothing if it were not my four year old brothers bike. My mother is 39 and she tried to get on a bike made for people that are under five years of age. Needless to say, she fell and scraped her elbow. I swear, I think it is all my brothers fault. He's freakishly smart, he must have stolen her brain cells on the way out of her womb." Elora cringed, it's one of her weak spots. She absolutely hates the idea of birth. She said the fear of birth came from watching her aunt give birth to her cousin. Apparently, she missed the video that all sixth graders were mandated to watch. It is probably much, much more scarring when you watch it actually happen in person. "Subject change," She exclaimed. "Where are Dalton and Jaz? I saw them both earlier." She questioned while looking around the cafe for them. "You know exactly where and what they are doing." I wiggled my eyebrows which resulted in her throwing a pea at me. "Fine, go ahead, let your frustrations out on the innocent." I mumble.

/////

        I tapped on the librarians, Mrs. Knox, office window and waved to let her know I was here. She held up a finger which told me to wait on her.  She wobbled out of her office because of her age and smiled. "Alrighty, Addi, I need you to train a newbie today. He is new to the school and he is kind of shy so don't bombard him with your insanity. Just show him the filing system and how to check books in and out. Plus, whatever other stuff you know that I'm to lazy to think of." I chuckled. "I understand, it's a Friday. I wouldn't expect anything less." I shrugged. "Speaking of, are you coming tomorrow to open the library. You know me being old and all I need to get my sleep. I know you would hate to see a poor, old woman deprived of her sleep." This time I fully laughed. "Yes I'm coming. No need to try and guilt trip me." She waved me off and I headed towards the front desk.

        As I approached the desk, I laid eyes on a gorgeous guy standing behind the counter. He was drumming two pencils onto the counter creating a nice beat and humming a tune along with it. He had spectacularly amazing hazel eyes and honey colored hair. He wore glasses on the top of his head that I was dying to see actually on his face. His muscle tee exposed his muscular arms which were also quite amazing. This unknown boy was simply amazing. His shirt had the name of a band on it although I couldn't make out the name. He was wearing black skinny jeans which had holes where his knees are. He smiled for a second, showing his beautiful dimples before writing something down in the notebook beside him. I finally decided to stop gawking when I had an eye full of this beautiful man and approached him. He looked up and his cheeks flushed red. "If you want to check a book in or out, I really cannot help. It's not because I don't want to, I just can't. I am new here and don't know how to yet and I'm babbling. I'm sorry. I'll be quiet now." His voice faded out and I smiled at him. He was as adorable as his appearance. "It's fine because I am here to teach those things and more. I'm Addilyn but you can call me Addi if you want to." I introduced myself, sticking my hand out. He took it hesitantly, shaking it, "Ashton Irwin. Nice to meet you." He smiled timidly. "Calm down, I promise I won't bite." I chuckled and he mimicked my action quietly. "Well, Ashton, how about I show you the filing system first. It's pretty simple as long as you know your alphabet." He nodded and followed me as I walked to the back office to show him the system for filing. 

        "So, Ashton, tell me about yourself." I asked after five minutes of silence. I showed him how to file and he caught on pretty fast. Not that I am shocked, it was pretty simple. "Well, I'm 19 years old. I have two siblings, both are younger. I'm from Australia, if you haven't already noticed from the accent. Um, there isn't much to me to be completely honest." I shook my head. "No way. That's impossible. You are an Australian in America. There have to be quite a few girls that have hit on you because of your attractiveness and your accent. Especially in this town. Land of sex, affairs, and STD's." I stated. It wasn't completely true. The affair thing isn't viable because this town doesn't know what commitment means. "Actually, one girl came up to me today with her friend and was trying to be subtle but she was feeling on my arm. She tried to lean into me but I moved away to quickly and she stumbled into a locker. I felt bad but it was kind of funny so I walked away so she would not see me laugh." He said while his cheeks flared. I let out a loud laugh and held up my hand to give him a high five which I did receive, hesitantly but I did recieve it. "You are quite alright Ashton Irwin, quite alright." I mumbled. 

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Author's Note:

First book I've written. Please excuse any errors. Sorry if it sucks.

I will try to update once or twice a week. Probably on Sunday's and Thursday's.

Share, vote, and comment please. I would absolutely love feedback.

If you can, please comment whether I should continue or not.