16

Maruca

Turns out this hideout wasn't so abandoned anymore. Our first mistake, was Della gasping at the beauty surrounding city of the hideout. That gave us away. Our second mistake, was letting Della be visible at all. So now, we have Vespera on our tails as we're running through the hideout, we need to get farther away so I have enough time to make a force field before she catches us. But Vespera knows that, she knows I need time, so she's not stopping to call for help. That just gives us time to run away. We're running along an alley, and the entrance to the hideout is about a kilometre  away. 

"Slow down and join us, and your son may be allowed to live," Vespera calls out to Della.

Della freezes for only an instant, then starts moving again. "MY SON IS DEAD! YOU KILLED MY SON! YOU WILL NOT FOOL ME!" she shouts. 

We start moving even faster. One good thing about Vespera just getting out of prison, she's slow. I see a tree up ahead and my gears start turning, I whisper my plan to Della, and we turn away from the entrance, then launch ourselves into the tree. 

Grady

When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold. Edaline is never up before dawn, I always wake her up. Dangerous thoughts are twirling in my head. It's your fault. You slept and let her be kidnapped! Don't sleep you ignorant Mesmer! I push the thoughts out of my head, she could just be up early. I go to check on Sophie. Outside her room Sandor is on guard. 

"Lady Ruewen has made me entrust Sophie to her care today. I waited here to let you know, now I must do routine check on the grounds," he tells me. 

Okay... It's fine, they're fine. I realize I'm still in my gulon pajamas from Elwin. I go back to my room to put on a tunic and pants. But not before I see a note on my bedside table. So Edaline did let me know, I just didn't see it. I open it quickly.  

Grady,

Don't worry about us honey, we're going to be okay. Sophie and I are with some of Sophie's friends and Della. We're going to track down the Neverseen. I know how bad that sounds, but we're going to be okay, we formulated a perfect plan. We're going to be safe, most of these hideouts are abandoned anyway, it's the Lodestar. Please don't come after us, we'll be okay. And don't let Sandor kill Sophie, it's my fault!

XOXO

In the mean time, you can feed Iggy for Sophie, I know how much you love that imp! See you soon,

Love Eda. 

I change into my pants and tunic, run a hand through my hair to style it, and rush to my imparter. How could they just leave? I don't doubt my wife or Della's strength, or even the children. But I worry that they haven't thought this through, they can't be with the Black Swan and the Neverseen are likely prepared. These girls have just made one of the worst decisions. 

"Show me Alden Vacker." 

Now, I've never been best friends with Alden. He seemed almost too polite, and definitely did not like me for some time because I was a better known Emmissary. But, since the Black Swan stuff, and finding Sophie, he's better now. Besides Biana is Sophie's best friend, other than Dex. Can't let a stupid dad rivalry get in the way. No matter how fair my argument is. And, Della and Biana are there with Soph and Eda, Alden deserves the right to help me get them back. I also contact Tiergan, who's currently taking care of the twins, and because I have a feeling Maruca Chebota is involved. Being a Psionipath and all. While they may not be related, he's the only one I'm super in contact with in that family. Of course, Wylie will probably be with him when he hears.  

The next hour or so is a haze. Making a rescue, plan, making sure we know who the girls are,  and and leaping to an unknown Neverseen hideout. We convinced Wylie not to come, due to his trauma with the Lodestar hideouts. That's when everything becomes clear, we're outnumbered. Ruy, Gethen, Alvar, and Trix capture us before we even realize they're there. They put thinking caps on us, mine being much more powerful than Tiergan or Alden's, most likely they did risk evaluation and realized I could literally control them. They lug us down a big hall of prisoners, all the way to the end. They shove us in one cell all together as far back as we can go, only one cell away from the wall. 

"You stay here. Fools," says Gethen, "you really thought you could raid our hideouts? Thought we'd just abandon them after you found our little map?" 

"You'll never win this," Alden spits out. 

"We already have. We have a Mesmer in our possession don't we? And the fathers of some of the Black Swan's best? Soon we'll have the Moonlark and her little friends come right into our grasp."

They walk down the hall and we can see them station themselves at the entrance of the prison. 

I try not to focus on the stench of the prison, sterile while also rotten. Disgusting. Alden and Tiergan decided to sleep, leaving me on watch. If this happened to us in seconds, with us being severely lower value than Sophie and her friends, I worry what's happened to them. Will they come take me soon, what good would a Mesmer add to their cause? In the next cell over, someone groans in pain. I can hear that there's a person in the cell, which leaves me questioning. Who? I get a glimpse of dark hair. Fitz? No, it can't be, he's dead.

I wake Alden and Tiergan. "Do you know who that might be?" I ask them. 

Tiergan, closest to the wall, turns to try and see who it is. 

"Oh my goodness," he gasps.

"What?" Alden asks.

"It's Fitz!"