Chapter 3: The Sorting

The castle was even bigger than I imagined. I took a deep breath as I stepped off the platform of the train. This was going to be my life for the next seven years. I was determined not to make the same mistakes that my dad did his seven years.

A large man, whom I knew was Hagrid, led us first years to the boats that would take us there. "Scorpius! Over here!" I heard Rose say waving me over to a boat with her, Albus, and some other boy with brown shaggy hair. I was beyond happy that I already had friends who accepted me for whom I was. The short boat ride to the castle was very quiet as everyone was staring in awe at the huge castle in front of us.

We got out of the boats and was lead into the Hogwarts. As we were told to wait for a moment in a holding room, my mind was racing. I hang been nervous about the sorting up until this very moment. All of a sudden my heart was racing. Would I be in Slytherin like the rest of my family? Do I even want to be in Slytherin? Rose and Albus probably wouldn't be in Slytherin, so if that's where I was placed, would I lose my only friends? But what if I got into Gryffindor? My dad said he wouldn't care, but what if he was just saying that and does care? Do I want to be in gryffindor? I think i would be disappointed but then i wouldnt be taking my own advice i gave to Albus. What about Ravenclaw? i would die if i got in Hufflepuff though!

All these questions and more were swarming around in my head. "Scorpius? Scorpius!" I heard a female voice say. "Wha...what?" I said, soon recognizing the voice was Rose. "You okay? You seem awfully...distraught.." Rose said worried. "Oh, yeah...I'm fine." I said, even though I wouldn't really call this fine. "Worried about the sorting?" Rose asked. She seemed to know exactly what was on my mind. "Yeah, I guess." I said cooly. "You know I will be your friend no matter what house you get into, right?" Rose said. "Yeah, sure," I said, still caught up in my thoughts. Sure, that's what she says now.

We were lead into the legendary great hall. Everyone was in awe, again. Including me, even though my parents had told me all about Hogwarts, it was even better than I ever imagined. For a moment, I was so soaked in the magic I forgot about all my worries. Then reality set back in. I saw someone wave to Albus, which I assumed was his brother. Albus actually looked more nervous than I did.

We got to the front of the hall. I watched as a hat was placed on a stool in front of us. A male professor started calling out names for people to come and get sorted by the sorting hat. My attention was only half there as I was observing the table in from of us where the professors were. I got bored and started paying attention to the sorting when I recognized a name that was slightly familiar.

"Longbottom, Matthew" the professor called out. The boy that was sitting with us in the boat walked up. I saw a professor give him a thumbs up. Oh, that must have been Professor Longbottom's son. Scorpius's father had told him all about him and how he had not been so nice to him during school but now had a respect towards him. The hat sat on his head for a fairly long time, before it finally shouted "Gryffindor!" With a burst of applause from the Gryffindors. His dad looked proud.

A few other people were called that he didn't know. His mind was wandering when he heard "Malfoy, Scorpius" aw crap. Here we go. I honestly had no idea what house I wanted to be in. I guess I would be fine with anything but Hufflepuff. He didn't let his nervousness show as he made his way up to the old hat. He felt like the entire room was paying attention as soon as they heard the name Malfoy. He put his fake smirk on his face as he sat down, though on the inside was having a panic attack.

The hat was placed on Scorpius's head. "Hmmm. I was wondering when a Malfoy would come back" the hat said in Scorpius's ear so only he could hear. "Hmm, not what I expected, considering your father. Any house would suite you quit nicely. I see great potential in you, so GRYFFINDOR"