Chapter 2

“School was actually interesting today” Kaylee spoke as she snatched the bag of Twisties out of my hands.

“How so?” I wondered.

I was chilling at Kaylee’s house per her request after school. We were doing oue usual thing, sitting in the longue room eating junk food with the T.V. going on in the background.

“Ethan turned up and Beverly got made to leave the table. Do I have to say more?”

“A fan of Ethan are we?”

“He is amazing”

“Settle down Kaylee, what if he is a real jerk?”

“I know, I hate that possibility” she sighed as I laughed.

“Remind me to high – five the guy who did that to Beverly”

“Why?

“Cause it was genius, throwing water on her was the quickest way to get rid of her!”

“Did he throw it? It looked like an accident to me”

“No way, it had to be planned. He threw it so it wouldn’t hit anyone but Beverly and that would have been hard considering she was lying all over Ethan” cleared Kaylee.

“Yeah” I sighed.

“So, what do think of Ethan?”

“He is definitely attractive”

“But you are too devoted to Fraser to go any further than that” Kaylee teased me.

“I don’t know, I think he has lost interest in me”

“You mean he likes someone else, who?”

“I don’t know but I can tell. He only gives me his attention after he has looked around to make sure that no one in particular sees”

“I’m sure you’re just making things up” she soothed.

“Maybe”

“Are you forgetting how hard he tried to get your attention and to build up the courage to ask you out? It only took him so long because you’re Little Miss Oblivious”

“Hey!”

“The truth hurts” she said as she held her hands up in defence.

“Fraser is one of the most attractive guys on the football team. I wouldn’t be surprised if some chic turned up and gave him what most guys want. It’s not like I’m giving him anything” I bantered.

“Ara  don’t think like that, besides with you being as popular as you are I’m sure someone would have told you if something like that had happened”

“Yeah” I agreed.

“Crap Ara, its 6:30pm. Don’t you need to be getting home?” Kaylee’s older sister called out from their kitchen.

“Sure do. I’ll see you tomorrow Kaylee!” I said as I ran out her front door.

“Bye!” she shouted back.

I still had to do some food shopping before I got home. If I had been more time conscious left Kaylee’s place an hour ago, done the shopping and be home by now.

Although Kaylee and I are close friends, I don’t think that our family backgrounds and the life styles we live could be any more different.

Kaylee lives on the river’s edge of Uptown. Her mother is an accountant and her farther is a lawyer and her sister is training to be in the navy. They live in a luxury three story house that looks over the river and all of the Downtown area across it.

I live five streets back form the river in Downtown with my jobless, alcoholic father and the stray black cat that appears from time to time. We live in a two bedroom flat along the train line. I swear that the place was built in two days by unqualified people, it’s always falling apart.