24. This Wasn't What I Hoped For

After we dropped the guys at Elsa's place to help her, Adam and I left for the hospital. Asher insisted on coming but Adam told him to stay there. They will back the boxes and shift to her old apartment and that's when we'll meet them back once we get free from here.

"Hey Owen, we booked the MRI room for 11am. Is it empty now?" He asked the guy sitting at the counter in front of the MRI sign.

"Yup it is." He said and took his clipboard leading our way inside.

A nurse came to help me change into a hospital gown and placed me on the MRI machine.

"Good luck and don't be scared. I'll be right out, just call my name and I'll be here." I nodded. Adam gave one last squeeze to my hand and left the room.

In a few minutes machine started and it sounded like I'm being transported to another dimension. I just closed my eyes and thought about my life. After today, I'll refocus on my life, my studies, my future as a lawyer and Asher.

Whenever he comes to my mind, I feel those jitters, like I need him forever. Like.... maybe... I'm in love? But love is something that brings peace to mind and happiness to heart, he does more than that. I feel safe in his presence. Just his presence makes the whole world disappear.

I wanna visit my parents again, this time I'll be calm and composed. I wanna tell them about Asher. And Adam and Brandon and everyone! They have really changed my life. Nothing can repay their kindness of giving me this new life.

I felt the lights being turned on as the machines roar silenced. The nurse came and placed me on my chair. My leg was hurting now. I can't feel the whole leg but that injury was hurting.

"Hey feel good?" Adam walked in rolling me out to his room.

"My leg hurts. Doesn't feel much but it hurts." I said.

"The reports will be on my table in a few minutes. I called Dr. Clair so you can talk to her by the time I analyse the reports." I nodded. It's been almost a week since I talked to her.

"Hey Emily, how are you dear?" She gave me a hug and sat on the chair beside me.

"I'm good, how are you?"

"Good, I heard about the hearing, congratulations." She said.

"Thankyou."

"How do you feel about it? Are you happy? Are you... satisfied?" She asked and it made me wonder.

"My parents died and that's something which can't be overcomed by satisfaction of this justice. And about Kevin... I think it's served well. There were plenty other girls over there who were rescued that night, the fact that my one phone call saved them makes me happy that no one has to go through that anymore. That whole experience was rough." I opened my eyes and saw her with her sad smile. Her eyes, however, did say she was proud of me.

"How did you feel when you left that building after they were sentenced?"

"I felt like a huge weight has been lift off me. You all this time I was really scared even when I was living with the Wood's. I knew they are still out there and they can still find me. Living with Adam made me comfortable but not completely safe no matter how hard they tried. The circumstances are to be blamed here. But you know one thing, when I left that courtroom, I took my file in my hand and shut it close with my own two hands. That gave me this... wave, this sense of realisation that I'm free from everything." I felt my eyes getting watery but it's wasn't going to fall, just some happy tears.

"I'm glad you feel that." She said touching my hand and holding it for a brief second.

"The results are in." Adam said and kept my file aside. I rolled over to his table and Dr. Clair sat beside me near his table. That's when Stephanie entered the door, just as she promised she would be here. She waved at me and nodded at Dr. Clair with a smile.