Neighbor

The flowers on the cherry blossom trees have officially begun to abandoned their pink color as the warm spring season has made its appearance. The Smith family enjoys a day inside with an uneventful weekend up ahead. Mr. Smith has just returned from teaching abroad and has found a comfortable position in his office. He blissfully watches the trees bend from the slight breeze in his front yard, a handful of white petals drift in the wind that eventually decorate the grassy floor along with the cars in the driveway. A few neighborhood kids are playing amongst themselves as their new neighbors to their right empty a moving van. He sighs in his peaceful state of mind until an adolescent voice interrupts his silent existence.

"Dad, when I grow up I want to be just like you."

"Oh? And why is that?"

"Huh? Why wouldn't I? You're strong, smart and you get to travel to all kinds of different places!"

Mr. Smith smiles at his son who made himself comfortable on his lap. He adjusts his glasses with his index finger as two large blue eyes stare outside the window. He watches the small clone of himself, his iris' vibrate with a curiousness that could only bloom in the rich soils of early childhood.

"Dad, what's it like to go to all those places that have a lot of mountains?" The boy asked with a tilt of his head, his feet dangle between the older's long legs as his eyes beam with curiosity.

Mr. Smith lets out a nostalgic breath as he reminisces about the list of places he has traveled that had mountains, "Well, mountains act as the guardians of the land. They stand tall and silent, while many creatures and plant life live within their crevices. Being on a mountain feels like being picked up by the hand of a God."

Erwin watched his father closely, soaking up every word and every piece of imagery that he could. His mouth hung slightly ajar as his Dad continued his stories of the places Erwin longed to go. His father is his hero, his mentor, his best friend, and he would do almost anything to be like his Dad. Every day he attempts to walk, talk, and even eat and drink like his father. His mother teases him when he tries to imitate her husband by holding a coffee cup, too large for his hands, that's filled with apple juice instead of coffee.

"One day I'm going to stand on the tallest mountain!" Erwin exclaimed with a bright smile while punching his small fist into the air.

His father laughed, a heartfelt bellowing laugh, "you say you're going to hike Mt. Everest? Now, that would be a sight to see."

Erwin gazed upon his father in full seriousness and pinched eyebrows, "Mt. Everest is the tallest?" His father nods with a knowing smile, "then it's settled! I will stand on Mt. Everest and give my heart to the Gods!"

His father laughed again, clutching his stomach at his son's naive exclamation, but a part of him believed that if anyone were to make such a declaration, it would be his son. Nonetheless, if there were any other who would have pure intent of following through, again it would be his son.

"My, it sounds like you are having a bit too much fun in here," Mrs. Smith comments as she makes her way into the study, "and what is the meaning of all this laughter? I presume it is you who is at fault." She says with a smile while poking her son in the stomach. Her golden hair sprawls across her shoulders while her floral patterned white dress sways with her body's movements.

Erwin giggles at the ticklish touch, "I am guilty!"

She laughs, a soft laugh that is as beautiful as a bird's song, "my word, I will have to think very hard about your charges, Mister Erwin Smith, for you cannot be trusted!"

Erwin plops off of his father's lap, backing away from his playful mother, "You can't catch me! I have to climb the tallest mountain! I have to climb Mt. Everest!" He declares with such confidence and unwavering tenacity paired with childish giggles.