Twelve

*Jack's POV*

It's a quick flight with the wind to Jamie and Sophie's house. I hop quickly through the window, stumbling onto the bed and laying Sophie down, unclasping her hands from around my neck and stepping back.

She sighs, turning over in her sleep and falling straight off the bed.

"Shoot!" I whisper, going to put her back on it. The baby tooth fairy I rescued from Pitch squeaks in my ear, cringing.

"Sophie!" her mother calls, "is that you?"

I frantically throw a blanket over her, then a toy, then exit the room onto the windowsill outside. I wish (Y/N) were here, I can imagine her helping me lower Sophie into the bed, probably swearing the whole time, but she'd be laughing too. She'd also probably have some choice words about how I left the kid, and wouldn't let me leave until I went in and tucked her in properly.

Maybe afterwards, we'd sit out here and she'd smoke one of her stupid joints, and I could tell her that I'm sorry I kissed her on the roof the other night, that I don't wanna mess up our relationship. Maybe I could even ask her why she made me fall in love with her is she didn't love me, and she'd offer me a perfectly reasonable explanation. Or maybe she'd even tell me she does love me, and I'd get to kiss her again.

"I'm being stupid," I say aloud. "She didn't do it back the first time, and she was high the second time. She didn't mean it."

Beside me, the tooth fairy squeaks mournfully.

"We should get going, huh?" I say to her, and she nods. I turn to go, but am stopped by a laugh in the distance.

"Jack!" a girl's voice calls, still laughing. It seems so familiar...

"That voice," I whisper, "I know that voice."

"Jack!" she calls again. It's not (Y/N), definitely not (Y/N), and yet... it feels like I know her.

I jump up onto a draft of wind, riding it over the buildings, the little fairy squeaking behind me. After a while I land on a rooftop, turning to look around.

"Jack!" the girl calls again, from my right.

I follow her voice, out of the main town and into the woods just outside it.

"Jack!"

I land, walking through the trees towards where she sounds like she's coming from. I crest a hill, stopping to stare. Ahead of me, an old bed frame is resting in a small clearing, its wood faded and rotting. I advance towards it, ignoring the tooth fairy's pulling on my hoodie.

On closer inspection, I discover that the bed is covering a large hole, its darkness just visible through the broken slats. I raise my staff, smashing two of them and watching as the pieces of wood fall away into the dark, clattering at the bottom.

"Jack?" the girl calls again, her voice echoing from inside the hole. I briefly wonder what (Y/N) would do if she was here, what she'd tell me to do, then discard that thought. She's not here, and I need to stop thinking about her.

I jump down into the hole, landing lightly in what looks to be some kind of cave or tunnel, with stalactites hanging from the roof and stalagmites reaching up for the ceiling. The baby tooth fairy is panicking now, zipping round my head and squeaking frantically.

"Baby tooth, baby tooth, come on!" I tell her, "I have to find out what that is!"

Ahead, the tunnel opens up into a massive cave, thousands of cages hanging from the roof and all of them full of...

"Fairies," I whisper, leaping between them. They're all chittering and squeaking, all pressing themselves against the walls, their tiny wings rustling against the wire.