surprise

Jean and Eren lay in their beds, hidden beneath the duvet. It was early Sunday morning and the two were shattered from staying up late the night before (wink wink). They were awoken by a knock at the door, and both quickly mumbled "not it" with Jean winning by a fraction of a second.

Eren groaned as he rolled out of bed, quickly putting on some jeans and a shirt before answering the door. His eyes widened as he stared at the tall figure in front of him. Behind him, Jean was slowly getting out of bed and stood a meter or two behind Eren. There was a pause before the stranger took a step forwards, throwing his arm around the brunet.

It took a few moments for his brain to process what was happening, but when it did Eren hastily pushed the person away from him, causing Jean to stand protectively at his side. "Who-"

"My dad," Eren answered. Jean put an arm around Eren's waist, recalling that Eren had told him that his dad left them when they were only ten.

Grisha reached his hand towards Eren, only for him to take a step back. He swallowed nervously, trying to hide the hurt look on his face. "Eren please listen, I-"

"No. You left us! How could you just take off like that?" Eren took a deep breath, trying to calm down. "You didn't even come to her funeral..."

Of course, he was talking about his mother. A year after his dad left, Eren's mother was murdered. It happened in their home, and Eren and Mikasa were held back as they watched her get shot.

"Eren, son, listen to me. I left because I no longer loved Carla- your mother I mean. It had nothing to fo with you or your sister."

Eren bit down on his lip, taking a moment to think. After a moment he motioned for his dad to come in, not wanting to make a scene in the hallway. Grisha sat down one of the beds reluctantly as Jean and Eren did the same. The brunet played with his hands nervously, only stopping when Jean held onto one of them and nodded at his dad, who was looking just as nervous as he was.

Eren sighed, finally looking up at the person sitting opposite him.  It was actually kind of sweet; Grisha was looking down at his lap, fidgeting with his hands just as his son was. Jean coughed, gaining the sort-of-stranger's attention. Eren mumbled a small thank you, before building up the courage to ask the question that was on his mind.

"Why... Why did you decide to show up now? Why didn't you ever come back after mom..." he trailed off, not wanting to finish the sentence.

"I didn't think you wanted me. I mean, Mr and Mrs Arlert were your god parents, and I didn't want to just show up out of the blue. The reason I didn't come to her funerul... Well, I didn't want to make a fuss. It must have been so hard for you, I didn't want to make it worse."

Eren nodded, taking everything in but not showing much of a reaction. Grisha chewed the tip of his thumb before speaking again, "as for why I decided to show up now, I wanted to apologie; for leaving you with no explanation, and for not being there when you needed me. I'm also sorry that it took so long to get here, I didn't really have the money to travel."

There was another few minutes of silence as Eren tried to process everything, and he had to bite down on his lip to stop the tears threatening to leave his eyes. The whole situation just seemed so alien; Eren had been angry with his dad for so many years and truely believed that he would never see him again, yet here he was, apolagising.

"...Thank you"

~

It had been two weeks since the surprise visit from Eren's dad. Since then him and his son had met up with Eren, and after she calmed down they had their first family day out in God knows how long. It was nice for the three to catch up, even if it did seem awkward at first.

After that Eren's dad said he had to leave again. The three exchanged phone numbers, deciding that they should at least keep in contact, and then he left. Even though he was only there for a few days, Eren was still glad to have seen him, and seemed to be in a better mood because of it.

Jean couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy as Eren sat opposite him, going on about how great it was to have a sort-of family again. He never knew his real dad, and when his mom got married to her homophobic dick of a boyfriend (who was a piece of shit to Jean even before he found out he was gay), he never spoke to either of them again.

It wasn't hard to put the emotion at the back of his mind, though, since he was just happy to see Eren so excited. Not to mention how adorable he looked whilst talking about it.

Eren chuckled after finally pausing to take a breath. "Agh! Sorry, I've been going on a bit, haven't I?"

Jean shrugged and moved over to sit next to him on the edge of the bed. "It's fine, you look cute when you're blabbing on anyway," he smirked. "I'm just glad you had fun, shame he had to leave so early though."

"Yeah, well, oh! I forgot to tell you about that. So he actually got remarried, and when I asked what her name was, he got all awkward and it turns out he's gay... He said he was really nervous about me knowing, but when he came over you were there and he said it was soo obvious we were dating and that you cared for me and stuff and well yeah Mikasa was just rolling her eyes and mumbling about how-"

"Jesus, Eren! Take a breath, will ya?" They both let out a chuckle, and then they were both lying down with Eren's head resting on the other's cheast.

"Hmm... Jean?"

"Yeah?"

The brunet's cheeks lit up slightly as he spoke his next few words. "We'll get married one day, right?"

Another chuckled, and a kiss on the crown of his head. "Of course."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

A/N
Well then, that was sucky. I tried to explain stuff so that you'd understand it if you didn't already read the prequel to this. Also I'm so sorry about how late this is! And the last chapter too. I've been really busy with artwork lately *sigh*. Still, I hope you like it.