13

TJOAIC 13 – TRUTH AND LIES (真象假象)

Feng Jin watched the woman who kneeled before him. He bent down to support her to her feet. “Beloved concubine need not be so ceremonious.” His gaze brushed past the knees covered by her outer robe. Then he turned to Gao Dezhong, who was standing behind him. “Have someone summon an imperial physician.”

“Understood,” said Gao Dezhong, before retreating. Seeing the situation at hand, Yunxi carried the basin of hot water outside, steam still escaping from the surface. Once she was at the door, she lifted her head. Watched her master with eyes full of worry. It wasn’t until she saw the emperor help her master to a seat that relief crashed into her form, and she finally left the chamber entirely.

“Let me see it,” Feng Jin said, staring at the thoroughly-covered pair of knees. His tone of voice seemed normal. “Is there something that We cannot know?”

Zhuang Laoyan hesitated as she rolled up the legs to her inner-garment pants. Revealed the frightening bruises. “It’s really not that serious. It only looks scary…” 

“Your father is a good official.” As the emperor, usually he would not mention the matters of the outer court in the imperial harem. For this reason, after Feng Jin said this one sentence, he changed the topic of conversation. “Be mindful of your health. The medical staff are usually idle, so there is no need to hold back.”

The emperor did not mention how she had received her injury. Naturally, Zhuang Laoyan would not say who had caused it. She only smiled and said, “This concubine just did not want to bother other people since it’s late at night.”

“You are Our woman. There is no need to worry so much.” Feng Jin patted the back of Zhuang Laoyan’s hand, his tone gentle. “If you don’t protect yourself, how could We feel at ease?”    

“Your Majesty.” As if moved, Zhuang Laoyan gazed at the emperor. She slowly lowered her head. Rather than believing the things coming out of his mouth, it was better to believe that one saw a ghost in broad daylight. 

Someone once said, a woman looking down in shyness was at her most likely moment to attract others. Feng Jin was an ordinary man. Therefore, in the presence of such an alluring sight, he inevitably had some desires. But then, he remembered that Imperial Concubine Zhao’s injuries had yet to be treated by an imperial physician. He reached out and stroked her hair. His other hand held hers, chill to the touch.

Taoyu Pavilion was free of the scent of incense. There was only the mild scent of fruits in the air. It seemed that Imperial Concubine Zhao’s net curtains¹ and clothes had been stored with fresh fruit. Although the scent was mild, it stirred within others a feeling of comfort.

Zhuang Laoyan did not know what the emperor was thinking. For this reason, she sat there without doing anything. She only leaned against the emperor’s chest in a natural manner, not at all like she was purposely trying to seduce him.  

Chest feeling warm and tender, Feng Jin wrapped his arms naturally around the woman leaning against him. Not a word left his lips. He also did not want to speak at this moment. Now that he was experiencing the rare quiet and feeling of relaxation, the corners of his lips tilted upward.

Once Gao Dezhong, who was guarding the entrance to the main chamber, stopped hearing sounds from within, he felt a bit surprised. Such a good opportunity. Shouldn’t Imperial Concubine Zhao be telling the emperor what Consort Yuan did to her? Could it be that she truly loved the emperor, and after seeing him, forgot everything else?

He didn’t know whether Imperial Concubine Zhao was silly, or if she was just that fortunate. If it weren’t for the emperor overhearing her words by coincidence, Imperial Concubine Zhao would have had to eat her suffering without her tormentors receiving any retribution. One would fear that in the future, she would continue to be bullied.