67

TJOAIC 67 – WOMEN ARE LIKE FLOWERS

Men always liked the new and hated the old, whereas women always cherished the past. As such, when these two types of creatures were together, their lives in reality resembled family dramasrather than fairytales.   

Zhuang Laoyan personally attached a jade medallion to the emperor’s belt, maintaining a half-squatting position as she looked up at him.  

“We know that you have not been in good health recently. So you should be even more careful.” Feng Jin reached out and supported Zhuang Laoyan to her feet. Stroked her loose and fine black hair that draped over her shoulders. “A few days ago, We already had the Department of the Palace tidy up the lotus pond. This year’s lotuses should be as quiet and exquisite as before.”  

All of a sudden, Zhuang Laoyan widened her eyes. “Your Majesty!” Then she averted her gaze at once. “This concubine always gives Your Majesty trouble.”    

“Why does Beloved Concubine think this? In Our heart, how could you be troublesome?” Feng Jin pulled her into an embrace. “You are Our beloved person. You shouldn’t say such things anymore. There are many women in the imperial harem. You have a pure and virtuous heart, so it’s hard to avoid others’ envy. We trust your temperament, therefore you shouldn’t be too worried.”  

He released the woman he was embracing from his arms, reached out to wipe the tears at the corners of her eyes. Feng Jin smiled. “It’s getting late. We ought to leave for morning court. Go rest some more.”  

“Respectfully sending off Your Majesty.” Zhuang Laoyan leaned against the side of the door, gazing at the emperor’s back figure, broken-hearted that he had to leave.  

Feng Jin looked back. Caught sight of Zhuang Laoyan still gazing at his back figure in such a way that spoke of reluctance for his departure. The corners of his lips curved upward. Then he turned his head back around and left Xihe Palace.   

January fifteenth. The day of the Lantern Festival. This was the first lively holiday of the new year. Every master of a palace would have their servants make a beautiful lantern for them. Come night, they would light those lanterns and hang them on a tree to pray for blessings.  

The imperial concubines racked their brains on how to make their lanterns beautiful, in hope of obtaining the emperor’s attention. For the emperor would choose the most prepossessing lantern on the night of the Lantern Festival. And he would reward the owner of it.

Within the imperial gardens were the perfumed clothes and gorgeous hairstyles of the imperial concubines. They brought their personal attendants, smiles gracing each of their lips. Like paradise on earth.  

The emperor and empress walked to the center of the garden together. They gazed at the lanterns hanging from all around, judging each of them.  

“The lanterns of this year are even more beautiful than those of the last.” The empress pointed at a delicate lantern in the shape of an immortal child holding a peach of immortality. “This lantern seems true to life. Who made this?”  

An eunuch standing in attendance at the side of the lantern approached it and checked the name plate. Then he approached the empress. “Reporting to Your Majesty the empress, this lantern was made by Xiuyi Su.”    

“Xiuyi Su was actually attentive.” The empress’ smile weakened a shade. “Reward her.”  

Feng Jin looked at that lantern. He did not express an opinion. Then he took in the surroundings. All of a sudden, he pointed at a certain plump lantern. “Take down that lantern and let Us have a look.”