17

TJOAIC 17 – BIRTHDAY (生辰)

During the season in which the emperor disliked visiting his concubines, he actually went to see Imperial Concubine Zhao twice. Though the first time, he had initially flipped Noble Imperial Concubine Yan’s name tag, before making for Taoyu Pavilion.

The women in the imperial harem could not come to a consensus as to why, or how they felt about the matter. However, the one who had been the most unwilling to accept the situation was perhaps Noble Imperial Concubine Yan. She was one of the most favored women in the harem. Never had she thought that after the emperor left her Linyue Pavilion, he would seek another person. 

Zhuang Laoyan understood that, at the moment, she had attracted the unblinking attention of the imperial harem. That said, compared to Noble Consort Shu and Noble Imperial Concubine Yan, she was insignificant. For this reason, she was not afraid of becoming the target of everyone. Not to mention that when an imperial concubine received the emperor’s favor, there wouldn’t be many people stupid enough to cause trouble for her. But if she lost the emperor’s affection, then that was a different story.

The temperature during the morning could not be considered cool. Yet as an emperor, Feng Jin needed to pay attention to his own appearance. The imperial robes were made from high-quality silk, but as Zhuang Laoyan stared at them, she couldn’t help but pity him. Look at that emperor. The layers upon layers he’s wearing. Who knew what kind of appearance he had under those clothes after all that sweating and heat?  

Feng Jin turned around and saw the concern and worry in Zhuang Laoyan’s eyes. Then he smiled. “Beloved concubine, what is it?”

“Reporting to Your Majesty, this concubine is just worried that the weather is hot outside. Although Your Majesty looks powerful and elegant in the imperial robes, it is still a bit too hot for this.” The moment those words had left Zhuang Laoyan’s lips, she felt she had misspoken. In fact, these imperial robes were made of silk from the three large cities of Su, Hang, and Shu, and weaved by the most skilled weavers in said cities. Even if the imperial robes were actually uncomfortable, she as a member of the imperial harem had no right to give her opinion on it. Not only her, but perhaps even the empress did not have the right to interfere. Although she possessed the memories of someone from the ancient times, Zhuang Laoyan’s innermost nature lacked the ancient folk’s veneration and awe toward the imperial clan’s heavenly might.

“Beloved concubine’s words are reasonable.” Feng Jin did not seem to act as if her words had been wrong, though. He lifted his arms to let the palace maids fix and adjust the accessories hanging from his waist. “It’s just that as the emperor, one cannot for the sake of temporary pleasure forget to exercise propriety.” Especially since who knew how many people, even with their hands stained in blood, could not wear these imperial robes.

“It was this concubine that was ignorant.” Zhuang Laoyan released a breath of relief in her heart. Whether the emperor truly had not realized her misspeak earlier or not, at least for now it seemed he would not fault her for that.

“Beloved concubine cares for Us deeply. We know your intentions.” Feng Jin clasped his hands behind his back. He smiled as he stared at Zhuang Laoyan. “We will leave now. You don’t have to send me off. It is currently hot outside. After sleeping for a bit more, you should not sleep any longer.”

Zhuang Laoyan usually accepted the emperor’s good intentions. At times, she would show her reluctance in having him leave, aware it brought the emperor much joy to see this action of hers. Today she did not have to specially send off the emperor.  

In her previous life, she had watched a television drama in which Huang Taiji, the founding emperor of the Qin Dynasty, extremely favored his Consort Chen¹. The reason was because among so many women, Consort Chen was the only one who treated him as her husband and not the emperor. In Zhuang Laoyan’s eyes, an emperor was the most difficult type of man to wait upon. During the Han Dynasty, the way Chen Jiao had treated Liu Che, Emperor Wu of Han, was also the way a wife would treat her husband. Unfortunately, she was eventually thrown into the Cold Palace, with the only things accompanying her her tears.