18

TJOAIC 18 – HEARTLESS (无情无义)

The empress had invited the imperial concubines to the Imperial Garden to admire the flowers and enjoy the shade. As Zhuang Laoyan scanned the area, a few lush and towering trees came into view. There were also a few large porcelain pots filled to the brim with ice. After paying respects to the empress, she went to find her seat.  

Noble Consort Shu’s birthday would occur tomorrow. Why the empress had sent an invitation for today’s event was up in the air. Zhuang Laoyan leaned against the backrest of her seat. With Tingzhu and Yunxi fanning her from behind, she felt even cooler.

“Noble Consort Shu has arrived. Xiuyi Su has arrived.”

She turned her head. Saw the people who were announced walking together. Xiuyi Su was a few steps ahead of Noble Consort Shu. She seemed overcautious, acting as a foil to her sister. 

Shortly after they had paid respects to the empress, the rest of the imperial concubines arrived. Zhuang Laoyan paid careful attention as the eunuchs brought pot after pot of flowers over. After the imperial concubines had appreciated them all, they sent the pots back, the sound of porcelain clinking filling the air. Although there had been many species and breeds of flowers, each pot had a unique and auspcious name.  

“This pot of green Moutan Peony is hard to acquire. It actually bloomed so beautifully at this time. Consort Rou, what are your thoughts?” said the empress as she looked at that particular pot of flowers. A smiled danced on her lips.

Consort Rou rose to her feet and curtsied. “It is naturally unique.”

The empress smiled yet did not answer. A wave of a hand, and another pot of flowers was brought forward. She gazed at what seemed to be a chrysanthemum that usually bloomed during the fall.

Zhuang Laoyan secretly glanced at Consort Rou. Saw the small beads of sweat clinging to her forehead. Then she smiled with her head lowered and lifted a cup of tea. Today was indeed a bit warmer than usual.

The flower appreciation event was almost over. Zhuang Laoyan also drank a lot of tea. She watched as the empress slowly set her teacup down, her lips parting to say words that had nothing to do with flowers. 

“Tomorrow is Noble Consort Shu’s birthday. Although it’s said that us women of the imperial harem cannot indulge in extravagant luxury, Noble Consort Shu has attended to His Majesty for many years. His Majesty and this palace both feel deeply appreciative of her. As such, there will be a great celebration tomorrow for Noble Consort Shu. We are all good sisters. Tomorrow, let us have a good time.” Once the empress finished speaking, she watched as the rest of the imperial concubines stood and agreed. “The flowers have all been admired. You are all dismissed.”  

After Zhuang Laoyan heard these words, she performed the full ceremony again. Then she followed the other women in sending off the empress.

The moment the empress left, a few of the imperial concubines in Noble Consort Shu’s clique went ahead to congratulate her. Zhuang Laoyan watched their expressions. None of them seemed abnormal.

“That Your Majesty has kept His Majesty’s favor naturally should entail a great birthday celebration,” said Consort Xian, looking at Noble Consort Shu. “Tomorrow, I shall toast you one extra cup.”

“Older Sister Consort Xian, these words makes younger sister too ashamed to show my face.” Noble Consort Shu walked forward and reached out for Consort Xian’s hand. “Older Sister is always so good to younger sister. Let’s not say one cup, even if it were seven or eight extra cups I would still drink it with you.”