01

“Have you heard about the artificial ozone layer depletion going down rapidly?” a brown-haired male asked his friends who have been surrounding him sitting under the huge dome that screamed vintage environment. 

The vines growing off on one of the back walls still remind the students what it feels like to acquire knowledge in the essence of nature. 

“Namjoon,” a blonde-haired male started, “the others know their work, they’ll fix it again, not our cup of worries,” he states in a composed manner scrolling through his electronic notepad, his dark brown orbs moving down in linear motion reading every tiny bit of information that appeared on the bright screen. 

“Yeah, Yoongi hyung is right, it’s the year 562113—something. Anyways, humans have exceeded almost doing everything with their help. This won’t be a problem, hopefully,” the youngest one of them assures biting his lower lip out of habit.

“It’s like the 516th time guys, so I was kinda skeptical about this whole process,” Namjoon states, poking his cheek with his tongue still not convinced from the small discussion. “I want to get to the end of it.”

Namjoon scans the articles related to space and science scrolling through his electronic blue transparent notepad, sighing looking for something spicy. He wanted to know the actual process of charging the damn batteries in the powerhouse to restore the ozone layer structure, to restore the planet’s balance. 

And for some reason, Namjoon finds it fishy, the whole restoration project. Just as he gets lost in his thoughts mumbling to himself someone grabs his ever so expensive notepad from his hand which causes Namjoon to widen his eyes in sheer panic.

“Hoseok hyung! That’s super expensive,” he yelps in a complaining–whiny manner trying to keep his worries at bay knowing how tacky Hoseok can get sometimes with his stuff. 

“You’re overthinking Namjoon, you better keep these theories to all those space scientists for when you reach there,” Hoseok says clicking his tongue. 

Hoseok hands the expensive notepad back to his best friend with a smug grin over Namjoon’s begging eyes. Namjoon sighs running a hand through his hair giving up, something doesn’t sit right in his gut at the moment.  

“Anyways, when is the final date of this thing?” another male speaks up looking up from his sleeping state. 

“This thing?” Namjoon asks in disbelief, his nerves weren’t at ease already, and with the younger among the duo putting the situation like this was getting on his nerves making him annoyed. “Taehyung, this is serious, remember how the north and south poles nearly dissolved?”

“That doesn’t mean anything will happen in the middle of the planet hyung, calm down,” a brown haired male speaks, reassuring Namjoon who just looks away massaging his temples. 

“Yeah, Jeonggukie is right, and that was centuries ago when they didn’t particularly save our race from getting wiped out,” Hoseok says giving Namjoon a light squeeze over his shoulder to calm him down. 

“Well, Earth’s atmosphere was gone like a sad bitch centuries ago, this planet was supposed to be ashes because of the sun but they saved it,” Yoongi explains looking up from his notepad. “They literally dragged this so-called already then dead planet into another galaxy. They created artificial air, which is how we humans are alive right now,” Yoongi elaborates.

 “Hyung, we know okay. Stop preaching, I’m tired of history for real,” Taehyung dismisses Yoongi with a bored tone meanwhile Yoongi rolls his eyes muttering something under his breath. 

“We should just be thankful they even considered saving our ancestors back then, more than half of the population was wiped out,” Jeongguk says looking down, swaying his legs freely whilst sitting on the table right in front of Taehyung. 

Taehyung snorts, “That doesn’t mean they are some gods or something Guk, it’s a plus for us since they do all our shit, shit we cannot basically deal with as humans.” Taehyung continues in a bored tone. Jeongguk nods lightly, none of them arguing further on the topic. 

“By the way, where are Jimin and Seokjin?” Yoongi asks looking up towards Namjoon. Namjoon sighs for the umpteenth time shrugging his shoulders. Then Yoongi looks in the direction of Taehyung and Jeongguk for any replies.

“They’re at the arena of banging together I think,” Taehyung says without considering how his words would come out. Yoongi scrunches his face in disgust. 

“You mean studying together, eating snacks and stealing the library books to piss off the almost robotic librarian?” Yoongi asks snorting when the younger nods his head in approval with a smirk on his face when he sees Namjoon uneasy on his seat glaring at him. 

“You know that’s what they do,” Taehyung merely shrugs, making Yoongi roll his eyes at the younger going back to his reading cursing something under his breath.    

As everyone got back to their respective work, Namjoon resumed his reading on his notepad, Hoseok happily munching on a churro Yoongi gave him to eat while he played a word puzzle game on his electronic pad. 

Meanwhile, Jeongguk stared at Taehyung who was slowly dozing off whilst sitting, head leaning on his neck pillow which Jeongguk gifted him last year. Now, Taehyung was a sucker for sleep, when not in his usual energetic mood, he would fall asleep anywhere when he wanted to, be it in the classroom or in a public transport or in a damn Ferris wheel.

“Hyung?” Jeongguk whispers slowly bending down to Taehyung’s eye level, noticing all of Taehyung’s face up close, his beauty marks, and all his flaws seemed extremely beautiful to Jeongguk. 

“Yeah Gukkie?” Taehyung asks with a soft voice with his eyes closed. Those thick, long eyelashes were beautiful as ever. Blood rushed to his cheeks as he heard his nickname come out of the Taehyung’s mouth. 

Jeongguk would rather stare and appreciate Taehyung’s raw beauty than staring at the skies molded by the others. He snaps out of his hazy trance instantly gulping down a lump that formed in his throat with his heart beating erratically in the cavity of his chest acknowledging their proximity. “If the world ever ends,” he starts gulping down a lump in his throat. “What would you do?” Jeongguk breathes heavily near Taehyung’s face which causes the older to snap his eyes open and look at the younger, panic and fear evident in Jeongguk’s small brown orbs.

“I’d save you first,” Taehyung murmurs so low that Jeongguk couldn’t hear it if he wasn’t that up close. It was a silent vow that was meant for only Jeongguk to hear. Jeongguk stares at the older for a few seconds and then his face splits into a nervous grin.

“That’s great to hear it from you hyung,” he gives the older a toothy grin. Taehyung mirrors his action by smiling and ruffles the younger’s hair. They were like this, making little promises, talking out their thoughts, millions of smiles exchanged with each other. An assurance from Taehyung somehow always calmed Jeongguk’s nerves. 

As if he trusted Taehyung to chase all his worries away. 

“How about we dye our hair today?” Taehyung suggests the younger stretching his arms out, yawning wide. 

“Really? Any color that I like?” Jeongguk inquires eyes wide with enthusiasm. 

“Yeah, and I will pay as usual,” Taehyung confirms smiling looking at the all happy, almost baby-like boy in front of him. Despite being in a crowd of people they built this small bubble amongst themselves that no one could cross.