Chapter 1

Ever's POV

"Come on, Leigh, you have to wake up. You have school today," I wake up to my older brother's voice and the feel of him shaking me, trying to get the sleep out of my eyes. I groan and turn to the other side, pulling my blanket over my head and hoping Mason will just leave me alone.

I have no such luck, though. His next words are, "If you don't get your sleepy ass out of this bed right now, I promise you I will drag you down the stairs to my car and drive you to your new school. Everyone will see the new girl- namely you, if you don't know that by now-, Everleigh Holland, looking like an old raccoon that's been hit by a truck."

I bolt out of my bed, shooting a death glare in my brother's direction when I hear him laugh. "I knew something like that would get you out of bed immediately," he chuckles. "But seriously though, with the... situation on your face, you really do look like an old raccoon that was hit by a truck," he says with a semi-serious look plastered on his face.

I gently push him off my bed and greet him good morning, then politely tell him to leave my room so I can comfortably take a shower. He leaves my room, but not before telling me that he'd prepared breakfast for me and I should hurry up so I won't be late for the first day of my senior year.

I step into the bathroom, strip out of my clothes and take a hot shower. I wash my hair, blow dry it and comb it out so it doesn't get too tangled and I don't look half-insane, then go back into my room to get dressed.

After putting my underwear on, I pull on a pair of dark jeans and a big maroon colored long-sleeved shirt, tucking half of its tail into my jeans and then finish the look with my favorite white high-top converse.

I'm not really a big fan of makeup, so I only put on a drizzle of pink lip gloss and a little bit of mascara and then shove the lip gloss in my bag, just in case I need it for whatever reason.

Grabbing my phone, I run down the stairs to the kitchen and hurriedly eat the bacon and eggs my brother left me on the kitchen counter as I realize that I have less than fifteen minutes to get to school if I don't want to be late.

Mason offers to drive me, but I tell him I'm fine driving myself, so he kisses my forehead and wishes me luck.

***

School.

Sigh.

I get out of my car and take a deep breath, clutching my books to my chest. I am to get my schedule from the principal so I ask around and am finally pointed in the direction of his office by a short-haired brunette.

The principal's office is huge, with a large brown mahogany door and two windows on each side of the office. Most of the room is empty, save for the furniture.

The middle of the room is occupied by a huge oak varnish-coated desk, a black leather swivel chair and two matching leather chairs that are on the other side of the desk. To the principal's left is a bookshelf, completely packed with different kinds of books in different sizes. His desk is occupied by files and a small, shiny black plaque at the front of the desk that reads "Principal Benedict" in golden cursive writing.

Said principal is an olive-skinned man with salt and pepper hair, dark brown eyes and thick round glasses which are lightly perched on his nose bridge.

From his looks, I am guessing he is in his sixties. I wonder how he's still a principal, the man looks like he could drop at any moment.

"Everleigh Holland?" He says in a surprisingly deep and clear voice that I wasn't expecting, seeing as he's kind of frail. "Yes sir, I'm here for my schedule," I say.