Chapter 2

Two weeks after arriving at the dumping ground, as the others called it, they had to go back to school for the new term. Of course, Edward, Isaac and I had to start. I had my school uniform and everything sorted, but I was still nervous.

“Come on, wake up.” May Li said, shaking me awake.

“Ughh, it’s too early.” I whined.

“Yep, I know. C’mon.” May Li laughed.

I pulled myself out of bed and trudged downstairs, avoiding eye contact with Isaac as I passed him. I was refusing to speak to him after what happened two weeks ago. I was still hurt that he’d even think of me like that.

I felt a hand on my arm, steadying me, and there was Ryan, looking way more happy than he should.

“How are you so happy? It’s so early.” I whined, as I sat down.

He shrugged. “I get to see all my mates today.” He replied.

“That’s lucky for you. I’m starting a brand new school. I only know you guys, and you all have friends already.” I sighed.

“Yes, because we’d obviously abandon you.” Carmen said sarcastically. “You’re our friend. Relax. You’ll be okay.”

I smiled at her weakly and started eating my toast. I felt Edward’s hand brush my arm, but I shrugged him off, angry at him too. It was obvious that he and Isaac had made up, and I was outraged that Edward was so accepting of how Isaac had handled things. I sighed bitterly. This was going to be a long day.

*

Mike dropped us off at school, and Ryan, Tee, Carmen and Johnny led me to the office so that I could get my schedule and stuff.

“Ah, Molly Turner?” the headmistress smiled. “I’m Mrs Havering.” She said, as she started typing away at her computer, obviously searching for my programme. “I hope you settle in here.”

“Yeah. I hope so too.” I said, smiling at the others. They smiled back at me.

“Here you are!” Mrs Havering handed me a coloured piece of paper. “You’re in form 9C.”

“You’re with me, Ryan and Johnny.” Carmen told me.

Tee sighed, obviously disappointed.

“It’s okay, Tee, there’s still breaktime!” I laughed, nudging her.

Carmen led me outside, after we thanked Mrs Havering. “We have double literacy first.” She told me.

“Oh, cool, I love literacy.” I said.

“The teacher’s really nice.” Ryan explained.

“We’re going to start the term with poetry.” Johnny added.

The bell rang out. We waved at Tee and Carmen dragged me to class, Ryan and Johnny close behind us. I sat with Carmen, and Ryan and Johnny sat behind us.

The teacher bustled in. She had long blonde hair, seemed quite young, and her smile was kind. “Good morning, class!”

“Morning, miss!” everyone chanted.

“Now, I hear there’s a new girl in class today. Molly Turner?” the teacher asked.

“She’s here, Miss.” Carmen said.

Everyone turned to stare at me and I felt really awkward, but I managed a smile and a wave. “Hi.” I said.

“Welcome! I’m Miss Matthews.” The teacher said. “Are you good in literacy?”