Chapter 3

The school day passed really quickly the next day. However, when I was walking home with Carmen and Tee, Ryan ran to catch up with me.

“Can I have a word?” he asked. “Privately?”

Carmen and Tee rolled their eyes, but went on ahead to catch up with Johnny and Bailey. I smiled at Ryan sweetly. I was in a really good mood; I was going on my first ever date. That was really exciting. However, something didn’t feel quite right and I wasn’t sure what it was.

“What’s up?” I asked him curiously.

“I, um...look, about Theo.” Ryan said, his voice serious.

I hadn’t heard his voice get that serious in the time I’d known him, so I decided to hear him out. “What about him?” I asked.

“He’s trouble.” Ryan told me. “I know him, my mates know him, and we know why he moved here. In the past, he’s done a lot of stuff and...”

“Ryan.” I cut him off. “You don’t even know him. Everyone’s made mistakes.”

“Y-yeah, I know that, I just...” Ryan trailed off. “You should just be careful, that’s all.”

“I can take care of myself.” I said. “I could say that Eleanor’s trouble, too, and that you should be careful.”

“We’re both capable of taking care of ourselves.” Ryan replied. “I just wanted to warn you.”

“Well, I appreciate it, but I’ll be fine. Theo seems really nice.” I told him. “Thanks for looking out for me.”

“Yeah...you’re welcome.” Ryan said.

When we got back home, I ran upstairs and began going through my cupboard, wondering what to wear. It was a warm day, so I decided to wear black, high waist shorts. But I didn’t know what else to put on with them. After a while, I put on a blue camisole underneath a leather jacket. It was warm, but not that warm. I finished the look with my blue Vans. I brushed my hair and left it loose, and applied some eyeliner and mascara. I stared at myself in the mirror, wondering if I looked okay.

Carmen poked her head around the door. “Oh wow, you look really nice!” she smiled.

“You think so?” I asked.

“I know so. Not too casual, not over the top. I like it.” Carmen grinned.

I put my phone in my shorts pocket and let her lead me downstairs. “You still have 20 minutes, but you can chat to us.” She laughed.

I walked into the living room and everyone looked up.

“You look great!” Tee exclaimed.

“It’s just shorts, a camisole and a leather jacket.” I laughed.

“Yeah, but you really suit the look.” Carmen said. “Doesn’t she, guys?”

Everyone nodded their approval. I blushed.

“Here.” Kazima handed me a silver necklace. It had a moon on the end of it. “This is for you. We figured you needed something with your outfit.”

“I picked it out!” Floss said proudly.

Carmen put it on me. “There. It’s perfect.”

“Thanks, guys.” I laughed. “But honestly, it might just be one of those dates that doesn’t go well.”

“Well, if it doesn’t, there’ll be plenty more guys!” May Li said. Everyone laughed.

“It’s not like I’m a guy magnet.” I retorted.