Chapter Thirteen: Doubt

Fare and Novus were set up at one of the study tables on the top floor of the library. While she was reluctant, she laid out the evidence that she had collected in front of Novus. His face was bare as he scrutinized over the information. Fare could not tell if he was pleased with her progress in Kila's case. His face was unreadable. They decided that discussing what Fare found would help figure out what their next step would be.

"Um-." Fare started.

"Have you had any more luck in locating the file Kila called you about?" Novus finally asked.

"No. I haven't. Between Kila's funeral and Agatha, I haven't had the time. Which reminds me." Fare reached into the front pocket of the backpack and pulled out a zip-lock bag with the contents from the box, "This was sent to Agatha the day of the funeral."

Novus took it, "Are these-."

"I originally thought that they were Kila's, but now I'm not so sure. The hair probably but I am starting to suspect that the nail clippings are August's. Either way, it was a clear warning to Agatha and I."

"Was this why you wanted to get her out of Meridia as soon as possible?"

"It was part of it. It pushed it forward. I wanted to ask you if you could run DNA for them and see if they or the note can shed any light on who could be doing this."

"Of course. I'll give it to Hughes. Is there anything else I should know about?"

"Whomever sent it used a currier. They must have been keeping tabs on Agatha and I somehow. They knew about our relationship and they knew that I was with Agatha when the package was delivered."

"Do you have any idea on who it could be?"

"No, I don't. Agatha doesn't know anyone here besides me and Kila. Although-." Fare trailed off.

"What?"

"When Agatha first arrived, she let herself into my apartment with my spare key. We got into an argument that night because I told her she was reckless in coming there. The next day I had taken her to your meeting, I decided to drop her off at the hotel near Kila's. I went back for her luggage and you showed up. I placed them outside and when you left, they were gone. The next morning Agatha texted me to thank me for the luggage. I thought Mrs. P had something to do with it because one of her potted marigolds was where her luggage was."

"Do you suspect her?"

"Truthfully? I don't know. She's ninety-years-old and blind. She has a horrible past with the Fae, and she revealed that she overheard our argument, but she has been nothing but kind since I've moved in."

"Kind or not. It is suspicious. At this point we can't rule anyone or anything out." He picked up the photo of the two keys, "What can you tell me about these?"

"The one on the left was the one I found in Kila's apartment. The other one was given to me by one of Kila's informants. I don't know what they unlock. They are the same key, but one is more rusted than the other."

"Informant? Who?"

Fare hesitated. Milo made it clear to her that he did not trust the Truthfalls with the information that Kila entrusted him with.

"I'm sorry, but I can't tell you who."

"Fare-."

She held up her hand, "I know, but he doesn't trust the Truthfalls. He made that clear. I know that we need to suspect everyone, but we may need him later and I don't want to break his trust. So please. Please let it go for now."