Chapter Twenty-Four: Call

After several rings, there was a click

"Hello?" The voice sounded confused.

"Aggie. It's me."

There was a pause, "Fare? What number are you calling from? I don't recognize it."

"It's a hospital-."

"Hospital! Which one! Where are you?! Are you injured!"

"Aggie-."

"Just text me the address." Fare heard rustling on the other end.

"Aggie-." Fare was losing patience.

"I'll be on the next train. How bad is it?"

Instead of trying to reply, Fare banged the phone on the wall several times to try and get Agatha's attention.

"Aggie! Stop!"

"What!"

"Calm down for a second and listen please."

There was silence, but Fare could hear her breathing. She realized that she must be breathing deeply. Fare began to second guess her decision to call, but it was too late now.

"Okay." Agatha finally said.

"First off, I'm fine. Just a little banged up, but nothing too severe." Fare downplayed, "I'll be fine here in a couple of days. As for the reason I called, I need some advice."

"Advice?"

Fare could picture the her raise an eyebrow.

"Yes. I'm in a situation to where I was given an ultimatum and I'm not sure what to do."

"Okay. I'm going to need a little more than that Fare. What kind of situation? What do you mean by ultimatum?"

Fare hesitated, "Um, well, I may or may not have turned someone to stone."

"What?! Who?!"

She swallowed hard, "A Truthfall Commodore."

Silence. After a few minutes of it, it began to unnerve her. She opened her mouth to speak, but Agatha beat her to it.

"Damn it Fare. I should've known that it was you that they were talking about in the news."

Fare was surprised, "News?"

Agatha sighed, "There aren't a lot of details given, but the fact that there was a death of a Commodore by another Fae has been circulating the entire day. I imagine that we'll be seeing it for awhile. I'm actually a little surprised that there aren't more details."

Fare thought back to her conversation with Commodore Link. It was possible that details were purposely left out and what would be released next depended entirely upon what her decision will be.

"I think I may know why there aren't a lot of details. It has to do with why I called."

"You mentioned that you needed advice. What kind of ultimatum did they give you?"

Fare did not know if she should be thrilled that Agatha was so calm about the situation.

"Basically, I agree to work with them at an official capacity or charges will be brought." 

"Okay, why would they want you to work with them after you just turned one of them to stone?"

"I thought the same thing. He claimed it was solely to get a killer off the streets."